another .327 coming?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SamV

Buckeye
While browsing over at the smith-wessonforum.com , I saw a post on the .327 not being dead. Of course they talked about the new single seven. Andof course many wanted to see a return in other models. One poster stated that Lipsey's has an interest in having Ruger make another run of sp101 in .327 mag. This time with a four inch barrel and adjustable rear sight. Anyone else hear of this rumor? I regret not buying one before, but I really did not think they would cease production. I could go for Smith model 632 also, leave off the ported barrel please.

Eliminator

Bearcat
I haven't heard the rumor, but adding a 4" SP101 in .327 would be a possibility. Now if Smith would reintroduce the 16-4 in .327, I would be on that yesterday!

peyton

Single-Sixer
I also wanted to get the S&W model 632, however I did not because the barrel port reduced sight distance.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
I would like a full size gun like a gp100 or a K/L frame in one......reckon i could make one....but no real desire to make a cyl from barstock....been there...done that...dont really want to do it agan

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
bcgunworks said:
I would like a full size gun like a gp100 or a K/L frame in one......reckon i could make one....but no real desire to make a cyl from barstock....been there...done that...dont really want to do it agan

You can handle that in the S&W by using the 22 LR or Mag cylinder for the proper frame size (K or J) and going to town. There are write-ups on my "Project 616" on the S&W forum and "Crank's" Model 64 conversion on Cast Boolits. I was shooting Project 616 yesterday and I build it all over again in a New York minute! 8)

Froggie

PS Oh yeah, I have one of the 357 FM Blackhawk 8 shooters too, but for some reason, the smaller S&W just seems right to me.

Jason at Lipsey's

Single-Sixer
bcgunworks said:
Ruger made a GP100 in 327 Fed for a while. They didn't sell well at all.

There aren't any firm plans of any models other than the Single Sevens right now. However, if the 327 catches it's second wind then I would be interested in other models. The 4" SP101 would be the best fit in my opinion. I think the more people use the 327 the more they will like it for what it is (field use) and not what it was marketed for at it's inception (defensive use).

don44

Hunter
mohavesam said:
One word: 327 Carbine.
The only thing better than a small caliber pack pistol, is companion carbine in the same cartridge.

That is true, it always was a good idea.

Ethang

Blackhawk
mohavesam said:
One word: 327 Carbine.
The only thing better than a small caliber pack pistol, is companion carbine in the same cartridge.

Yes please. I know this is a Ruger forum but I would take a 92 in 327 in a heartbeat.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
There's no reason a Ruger #3 carbine couldn't be built... oh yeah, Ruger doesn't make #3s any more! Oh well, that would be an ideal platform, but a #1 could be built in 327... a bit of overkill if you ask me, but it could easily be done. Other manufacturers could build the Winchester Model 92 (just like a 32-20) or a Marlin 1894 or even a 336. Any platform previously supporting the 32-20 could be readily adapted to the 327.

Jason, I'm a fairly enthusiastic firearms fan, and I have to say that the release and sale of the earlier Ruger 327s almost slipped by me, they were so quiet. I did get lucky and buy a Blackhawk Eight-Shooter before they were completely discontinued and prices skyrocketed. I really believe a mid-sized DA version of the 327 from Ruger or S&W would sell well if publicized well and if ammo were readily available. JMHO, of course.

Charlie, the Green Frog

peyton

Single-Sixer
My solution to wanting a 327 carbine is that I sent my Marlin 1894 in 32 H&R to Brockman Rifles and he bored out the chamber to .327 and it shoots great and feeds reliably. I know people will gasp at making this change "that ruined its value." One hundred years from now ask my great, great, great, grandkids how it shoots!!
Here is my post about it and some pictures.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/216268-took-k-32-marlin-range.html

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Jason at Lipsey's said:
There aren't any firm plans of any models other than the Single Sevens right now. However, if the 327 catches it's second wind then I would be interested in other models. The 4" SP101 would be the best fit in my opinion. I think the more people use the 327 the more they will like it for what it is (field use) and not what it was marketed for at it's inception (defensive use).

+1 to that. Hopefully the sales numbers of the Single Sevens will continue to be strong to justify a run of the longer barrel SP101s. If this happens please have Ruger install a better adjustable rear sight than the original .327 SP101 had on it. I have one of the originals and the rear sight is usable but fairly crude IMHO. A field gun will need a better sight system.

I would make it even better for field use by fitting a 5" half lug barrel. Nice sight radius and wouldn't be too front heavy.

Cordite

101VooDoo

Single-Sixer
A nice 7 shot .327 confirgured like this would be just the ticket:

5771.jpg

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
I have one of the first 632's...and I love the little booger.....but its loud for sure.....boy I would love a lever gun in 327....that might make me part some money for.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Do we think a 327 levergun, ala blued steel & good wood 96/327 would sell a thousand units in six months?
If the wood has character/good looks well I'd need two of those of course. 8)

rangerbob

Buckeye
I think a reissue of the SP-101 in 327 would do well. Before there were the guns, but no ammo. Now that 327 ammo is readily available, the Sp-101 should take off. My rifle choice would be a blued/walnut 327/77 with at least a 7 round magazine. That's about as likely to happen as a 41/77 rifle. Bob!! :D

Latest posts