straps or holster?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i asked on here about iwb carry of my 4 inch barrel service six, i have decided to try it and need one last help on it. i am on a tight budget so i try to save when i can, so here is my question. i already have a couple pancake holsters, should i buy the straps to turn them into a iwb holster?, or get a complete iwb holster? the straps are $15 where a holster is $25-$50, thanks for your help.

schloss

Single-Sixer
That's a pretty personal question. I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers both ways. And even if 80% suggest you go one way, there is still always the chance that you'll be part of the 20% end of things.

I would personally go with an actual IWB holster. I have a hard enough time finding a OWB that I'm really happy with. However, I've also tried a few IWB's that many people on various gun forums claimed to be very happy with, and absolutely hated them. I suppose you could also just try the straps, and upgrade if you don't like them. You could probably just make up some duct tape straps or something and see if the holster will work for an IWB for you. I only like holsters that are designed with a metal or kydex strap to hold the holster open. I just can't get my guns back into the flexible once they're inside my waistband.

I guess it would depend on who made the pancake holster. Simply Rugged's has an option for straps, and they can be bought later if wanted/warranted. Otherwise I think I would use a dedicated holster for IWB. The one failing of IWB carry is the decreased ability to reholster with one hand. IMO. Good luck, and let us know how your quest turns out.
gramps

Varminterror

Blackhawk
If you find a $25 holster that you like, then for a difference of $10, I'd just get a new holster. For a difference of $15 to $50, I might think for a minute about it...

But my rule of thumb is that more holsters are better than less. You'll only ever use it one way if you convert it, so you'll be more prone to just leave it at home instead of take the straps off as a pancake.