More talk of adjustable sight bearcat

Help Support Ruger Forum:

As pictured , it's much more like the conventional Super Single-Six, complete with the "protected" rear sight.

Of course, that one may just be a "one-off" prototype, but . . .

The Bowen example is certainly more svelte and graceful, more fitting to the compact nature of the Bearcat.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
I like how Bowen blends the front of the rear sight mount into the top strap of the frame.... Nice curved shape. Maybe too much to ask for a production revolver but it makes the adjustable rear sight look like part of the revolver design rather than something added on later.

Cordite

Well, given that the frame will almost assuredly be an investment casting, that neat contour should not be cost-prohibitive. Ruger's manufacturing gang should be able to make it nice, if the bean-counters say it's worth the effort.

One thought . . . if there's not much difference in the price between the "improved" Bearcat and the existing Single-Six I'm not sure this would be a viable product. Ruger wouldn't want to have two of its offerings competing with each other for market share.

On the other hand, with the addition of the Single-Nine, the Single-Ten, and now the Single-Seven in 327, perhaps Ruger feels the need to boost single action interest . . . hmmm?

:wink:

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1) said:
One thought . . . if there's not much difference in the price between the "improved" Bearcat and the existing Single-Six I'm not sure this would be a viable product. Ruger wouldn't want to have two of its offerings competing with each other for market share.

The way I see it is if you are going to compete for market share it's best to compete with yourself. The total top line sales number at Ruger should increase with both products in the mix, all other things being equal. If the two products are different enough the improved Bearcat should not depress Single Six sales to the point where both products are not profitable. Ruger Marketing dept. can help keep this on track. Perhaps Ruger can offer a special grip material for the improved Bearcat to help differentiate it... don't laugh; take a look at the automotive world. They change sheet metal all the time while the basic car underneath remains the same.

Mike Fifer has it right that new product introductions drive sales. Best to try many new things to possibly open up new markets. Corny baseball analogy... You won't hit a home run every time you step up to the plate but you won't hit any at all if you don't swing the bat.

Cordite

SimplyRugged

Bearcat
I think it's interesting how many die hard EK fans don't like his idea; the protected rear sight;-) Or his input on the ultimate production Single Action, the Super Blackhawk...

RABULL

Bearcat
Well, I have waited a long time for an adjustable sighted Bearcat.... Count me in, I will sure purchase one! I am also very happy when I hear Jason from Lipsey's tell us to "Stay Tuned" on it!

I know that means there are some good things coming down the line....I am standing by to see what it is!!! :D :D :D

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
RABULL said:
Well, I have waited a long time for an adjustable sighted Bearcat.... Count me in, I will sure purchase one! I am also very happy when I hear Jason from Lipsey's tell us to "Stay Tuned" on it!

I know that means there are some good things coming down the line....I am standing by to see what it is!!! :D :D :D
+1. No need to say anything more, really; except perhaps "I'll take one!"

Big Old Boy

Hunter
The best thing anymore about Christmas is shot show is only three weeks away, can't wait to see the new stuff!!

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
nvbirdman said:
If the production model is anything like the prototype shown, it sure spoils the lines of the Bearcat.
No more than it spoils the lines of the Single Six.
That front sight can use some smoothing, but I'll be they'll get it right. If they don't, at least the difficult rear sight will be taken care of and there will probably be an almost immediate aftermarket for front sight options, particularly if it's simply screwed into the barrel.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Triggernosis said:
No more than it spoils the lines of the Single Six.
And no more than the Blackhawk spoils the lines of the Colt SAA. Sometimes you want "lines", sometimes you want a squared-up, all black sight picture. ;)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Varminterror said:
I'm REALLY wishing they'd have used the old SP101 adjustable sight instead of the GP100/RH/SRH/BH/SBH style...
The old SP-101's "adjustable" sights were only adjustable for windage and that was a major flaw. The current 4.2" SP's finally have real adjustable sights and it's a big improvement.

adam12

Single-Sixer
That Taffin Bearcat has a Bisley grip......now THAT'S a cool alteration for the eventual standard sighted Bearcat.

Bear Paw Jack said:
http://lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?mfg=Ruger&family=Bearcat+Series&type=Revolver
That one DEFINITELY will have to find a home here. Gonna contact my Lipsey dealer today and try to get an order in.
UPDATE: Went to my LGS and watched as she placed the order.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I wonder what they weigh. I didn't see that listed on the specs anywhere, but maybe I'm blind.

It looks like they probably picked up a few ounces with the thicker top strap and the sights. But it should still be quite a bit lighter than the Single Six.

If it were a convertible, it might be perfect.

SR

DPris

Buckeye
The stainless one I picked up yesterday weighs just a hair under one pound ten ounces.

The sights do stick up a bit. :)
No Bisley grip, retains the Semi-Remy of the standard Bearcats.
Denis