Who's has a single seven that is destined for a calibre

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I would like a Super Single 6 converted to a .38 Long Colt, but I suppose a single seven would work just as well. 8)

rangerbob

Buckeye
The Single Seven opens up the possibility of other calibers as it is already set up for centerfire. I have one in 5.5" and while examining(fondling) it, it occurred to me this would make a fine 6 shot 38 Special if the geometry will work. The loading gate would have to be modified with a deeper loading notch. It is a tight fit to get 327's in the cylinder. If that could be overcome, then send my 38 with a 9mm cylinder to match. I don't think that the 357 is a viable candidate for the single seven platform, even if one made a 5 shot cylinder, although anything is possible. A six shot 38/9mm would be cheap to feed and easy to shoot, particularly in a small frame gun like the single seven. My 2 cents worth. Bob!! 8)

What would be the benefit of changing the caliber from .327 to a 357? in the Single Seven? I can see perhaps the .38 Long Colt or something not available in a Blackhawk. Some dash caliber perhaps? Will the Single Seven be able to shoot .32-30 as is anyway?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
A 5- or 6-shot Single Six in 38SPL has always been a want here sim to S&W's K38 Target. A small perhaps but purposed shooter demographic. Deeply-polished blue please.

Zeus

Blackhawk
Those conversions are best done on OM single sixes so you don't have a hole in the loading gate are of the frame due to the transfer bar channel underneath when they open the loading area up a little.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
What would be the benefit of changing the caliber from .327 to a 357? in the Single Seven? I can see perhaps the .38 Long Colt or something not available in a Blackhawk. Some dash caliber perhaps? Will the Single Seven be able to shoot .32-30 as is anyway?

The cylinders are way too short for the 32-20/25-20 cartridges. But work slick with deep seated bullets in standard cases or shortened cases with normal depth seated bullets in my conversions of the old model .22 and new model .32 H&R single sixes.

Old Model converted to centerfire with 2 cylinders: a 327 reamed cylinder and 32/20 'short' reamed cylinder:
medium800.jpg

Had to enlarge the .22 loading gate chute for the larger cases.
medium800.jpg

New Model .32 H&R Mag/.327 Fed Mag and extra .32-20 'Short' convertible cyl, loading chute enlarged slightly for larger .32/20 case rims. Bisley hammer with modified spur, Stainless Steel grip frame, steel ejector rod housing, SBH grooved trigger w/web removed, Colt ejector rod, and free-spin cylinder pawl.

orig.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
A 5- or 6-shot Single Six in 38SPL has always been a want here sim to S&W's K38 Target. A small perhaps but purposed shooter demographic. Deeply-polished blue please.

Just what you ordered, Custom oversize, diameter and length, 5 shot 38/357 cylinder. Takes a bit of skeletenizing and a cyl latch block (shown below) but it works:

DSCN1490.jpg

DSCN1491.jpg

DSCN1497.jpg

DSCN1492.jpg

DSCN1493.jpg

DSCN1496.jpg

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Zeus said:
Those conversions are best done on OM single sixes so you don't have a hole in the loading gate are of the frame due to the transfer bar channel underneath when they open the loading area up a little.

Yep.