Considering a GP-100 - Range test

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have the GP100 4 inch and Security Six with 6 inch barrel, both are great shooters. For carry the 4 inch would be better but for plinking the 6 inch would be ideal, they are pleasant to shoot with just about any reasonable load and are really accurate. They are also easy to disassemble for cleaning or maintenance and there is a large selection of grips available.

Ernie Bishop

Bearcat
I have shot 2 GP-100's in the last month. Decided to get one for myself as well.
Mine is getting the FR conversion as I type.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I have two GP100 revolvers, one 3 inch bbl and one 5 inch bbl. Great revolvers. If you can find one I would highly recommend the 5 inch bbl, it's a great compromise between the 4 and 6 inch model.

I had a blued one in the mid to late 80's with a 4 inch barrel. I qualified with it and used it to romp the woods. The only thing I would have changed would for it to have been SS. I sold it when money was tight! Arrgh! It shot well/accurate to 100 yds. .38's were no more recoil than a .22. Good luck!
gramps

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I have a 5incher I wont part with. Its heavy enough to soak up recoil from the magnum loads.

Ok,

I stopped by one of my regular small shops and found this used 6 inch model sitting on the shelf.

On close inspection it was not used much. It came with the box and manuals. They came down a few dollars and I could not say "NO".

It has a cool serial number with lots on 1's and 0's. 174-110XX DOB?

I can not see a mark on it and no drag marks on the cylinder.

I seem to prefer the regular GP-100 grips to the hogue grips that I have seen on many guns.

Going to break it in proper this weekend.

Thanks for the help in making my decision.

Bill

coach

Hunter
You probably came to the wrong place if you want less than biased opinions. I like my 6" SS GP with a full under lug. The standard rubber with wood inserts look good and fit my hand. It soaks up recoil well and points good. While my trigger isn't bad, it still isn't as nice as my S&W L frame. Both are older guns.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Oh, you did good Bill! You're gonna love that revolver. I like that style of grips the best, they are the most comfortable one's you will ever find for that revolver. Well done!

Latest posts