My 327 Single-Seven is getting better

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Today, with better light & more time I was able to play with my 327 some more. Here's a pic of my last group of 14 shots, at 25 yds, using my reloads. Looking better!

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm starting to think I have 2 chambers a bit off from the others. I had that group doing quite well until I hit a certain spot. Then I got 2 flyers to the right. I reloaded & was in my second cylinder & 2 more in a row went right. If you take out the 4 open holes to the right,,, you will see a seriously nice grouping. I'm going to mark each chamber & see what happens. I have also made one click on the sights to move it left a bit.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Fox Mike said:
What barrel length model do you have? I ask because Jeff Quinn said that the 5.5" barrel model he tested had higher velocities than the others.

To many variables to consider Jeff's limited review as the final truth, especially if you reload. Sometimes even "identical" revolvers will give wildly different velocities.
Smoothness of the bore, cylinder gap, slow or fast powders, all these and more come into play which might effect the velocity.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Shooting mine over the weekend I had a problem with the base pin backing out after 2 or 3 shots. Screws on base pin latch are tight and seems to engage firmly, but after a couple of shots, backs out again. Of course this ties up the gun as the base pin cannot push the transfer bar out etc. Have an e mail in to Kelye at Belt Mountain to see if their single six locking base pin will work in the single seven.

contender

Ruger Guru
My Single-Seven is the 7-1/2" one. I don't disclose my loading data as I prefer folks to use their own manuals, not my loads. (Even though my loads come from manuals.)
So far, no problems with the base pin!

Tyrone, that group looks better than the one in your other thread when you first got the gun. That is a great looking gun by the way.

There are several thousand reasons in the form of a new air conditioner standing between me and the gun store right now. Do you think they will be around for a while or will the price shoot up dramatically? Didn't you make a bet years ago about the .327 caliber with another forum member? What ever became of that?

Anway,that's a good looking gun. I love the longer barrels. I'm glad you like it.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yeah,,, this little gun will get better & better. I'm going to smooth up the innards to make it smoother. As for how long they will be around,,, only Ruger knows. And as for the bet,,, I won it,, but allowed the other person to not pay up.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
AKDRSS said:
Fox Mike said:
What barrel length model do you have? I ask because Jeff Quinn said that the 5.5" barrel model he tested had higher velocities than the others.

To many variables to consider Jeff's limited review as the final truth, especially if you reload. Sometimes even "identical" revolvers will give wildly different velocities.
Smoothness of the bore, cylinder gap, slow or fast powders, all these and more come into play which might effect the velocity.

Yep. You cannot assume anything about velocities until tested over a chronograph.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Accuracy matters more to me than velocity. Velocity is a fickle thing.
If I have a feral dog or three stalking my backside on a shadowy trail, I really don't care if I have a SD of 100 fps, as long as I can connect with skull, on purpose.

Anyone number their Single Seven chambers yet?

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
** Base Pin Issue **
I recently purchased a consecutive pair of .44 specials. One of the two had this same problem. I checked the base pins for fit and position (even swapped them), but still failed in the same gun every three or four shots. Next I took a close look at the spring loaded cross-pin that retains the base pin. It was correctly installed, facing same direction, and with the spring positioned properly. After VARY careful observation I realized that the cross pin was NOT FULLY SEATED on the offending gun. I modified a screwdriver and removed the pin and spring. After shining a flashlight and a careful eye into the hole in the frame I discovered a small "burr" raised upward (in the bottom of the hole) and preventing the pin from seating fully, thus allowing the base pin to become disengaged from its intended notch. I simply used a fitted drill bit and BY HAND spun the burr off. After reassembly the pin appears fully seated. I have not been back to the range yet to verify the fix, but I'm confident it will be OK now. Had I not had a second gun for comparison I would never have noticed the slight difference. Hope this helps.
-Justice B. Swift- (AKA Just B.S.)

meister mash

Bearcat
I had the same discovery about the cross pin hole and used the same remedy. I also put in a heavier spring.

Joe S.

Hunter
mhblaw said:
Shooting mine over the weekend I had a problem with the base pin backing out after 2 or 3 shots. Screws on base pin latch are tight and seems to engage firmly, but after a couple of shots, backs out again. Of course this ties up the gun as the base pin cannot push the transfer bar out etc. Have an e mail in to Kelye at Belt Mountain to see if their single six locking base pin will work in the single seven.
Mine has same issue.
Called Ruger. They sent new base pin. New one is worse. Now it comes out with every shot. I pulled the pin on my 45 and compared. The latch does not extend into base pin hole as far on the Seven as in my Blackhawk. I am calling Ruger tomorrow to send it in. With cylinder out, i can remove base pin on my Seven with my own strength without disengaging latch.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
As stated in my post in the gunsmithing section, the Belt Mountain locking base pin for the Single Six fits and functions perfectly in my Single Seven.

Joe S.

Hunter
Yea no doubt it would be fine. But mine is an issue with the latch. I may add the belt my pin later (if i could get the guy to return my emails or phone calls) but i want the problem fixed. A base pin should not be removeable unless the latch is disengaged. And mine can.