treating belts?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i am getting in the mail today a bull hide gun belt, got it from daltech. since it is saturday they are closed so i thought i would ask here. should i put anything on the belt? it is the bull hide rough cut model. i have never bought a belt just for a gun holster so i didn't know. i know my dress belt instructions said to put silicone or conditioner on it every so often but that does soften it. i wonder if i should leave it alone or treat it with something. thanks for your help.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Shouldn't do anything with any new leather product. The maker will have done that. Condition it no more than once or twice a year and do so very lightly. Leather does need its natural moisture replenished every so often but it doesn't need much, or very often.

Thel

Blackhawk
I have been using this product that I purchased from the Belt Man:

http://www.thebeltman.net/preserve.htm

It does as he states in that does not soften the leather and have been using it for last 3 years on leather goods such as holsters, belts, etc.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
thanks everyone, i got my belt today and all i can say is wow. the difference in it and my pants belt is light and day. its thick and heavy duty and at least 1/4 inch thick, lifetime warranty to but from the way it looks its not gonna need it. made in usa too from american bulls. i love it, thanks again.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i left an email yesterday with Daltech and didn't expect a reply till tomorrow but they responded shorly after i sent it, here is what they said.
Hello You have to be careful on what you put on your belt if you want to retain the stiffness as a gunbelt. It will loose a bit of stiffness as it wears in but you do not want to encourage that. Do not use any product that contains oil. Do not use mink oil or neat's foot oil or similar. This will darken and soften the leather. Only use a wax or lotion like our DaltechGold lotion that we sell on our site. Any good leather lotion would work. Use any treatment sparingly as the belt has been treated here and should not need any more for a while, and then very little about twice a year or less often according to wear. Remember the belt carries a lifetime warranty so if you do have any trouble we will fix or replace it. I hope this helps.

adam12

Single-Sixer
gramps, I was just wondering yesterday if I should use some shoe polish on my (black) Kramer gun belt. The color got stripped away on the last six inches or so by putting it through the buckle repeatedly. I was wondering if the polish would "bleed" off the belt onto a shirt.

Looks like you answered my question before I asked it. Thanks!

ps - how do you apply it - like you would to shoes and then buff it with a brush?