Short cylinder sp101 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mindustrial

Single-Sixer
Just bought one... It was an impulse buy when I picked up my 327. Wasn't even aware there was cylinder length change, I just like that it was timed perfect, locked up tight and seemed really solid.

It is like new in the yellow cardboard box with the green end label; Ksp-331, barrel marked 125 grain....$375 otd. Seemed like a decent price.

Is there any added collector value because it's a short cylinder? Or is it actually a negative feature to have. How long or how many were mfg before the cylinder length was changed to accommodate the heavier bullets.

Thanks in advance.

eveled

Hawkeye
I was waiting for somebody who knew more than me on the subject to respond. Since none did, I'll put in my 2cents.

There are relatively few of the short cylinder sp's out there. To me it would be worth more than a regular, based on scarcity. I also wish when they made the .38 only guns that they used the shorter window/ cylinder.

I think you have a nice desirable gun, enjoy it. Ed

schloss

Single-Sixer
There was a slight discussion on this just recently:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=211878

I don't know anything about it, as I'm more into single actions, but, here it is for your reference. I thought it was pretty interesting the changes made on the SP from its initial introduction. I had no idea it wasn't really designed for normal 357 loads.

mindustrial

Single-Sixer
Don't know how I missed that, thanks for the link. 3000 pcs mfg.

it's a cool little gun, certainly more than enough cartridge for it, even at 125 grains.

One of those things, snap decision at the gunshop... Then the fun of finding out what exactly I bought, fortunately this time I did okay. And I will enjoy it, thanks

Terry T

Buckeye
mindustrial,
You paid a shooter price for a piece that may, at some time in the future, have a bit of a collector premium.
Not too many of we SP-101 collectors at this point and most shooters don't want the 124 gr. limitation so these may actually be going at a bit of a discount at this time.
Good snag on a very useful piece at a very good price.

Terry T