Blackhawk w/ 9mm cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
This is a silly question but I gotta ask it anywày. I have a New Model Blackhawk convertible 357/9mm. Are moon clips needed to shoot with the 9mm cylinder.
I am selling this revolver and don't know how to respond if the Buyer were to ask me.

I never used the 9mm cylinder and never
gave it a thought until just now.

Thanks Guys!!

dakota1911

Buckeye
Yup they head space on the head of the case. Look at the cylinder carefully. Then you have that neat extractor under the barrel to eject them. These are major fun pistols by the way and I have a couple.

Where the moon clips come in more is in the DA revolvers. Even then the S&W and Taurus pistols I have also have cylinders where you can drop the shells in and they fire as again the cylinder is bored so there is a little shelf where the cartridge can head space on, but getting them out without a moon clip requires good finger or thumbnails or a stick to poke them out.

I think one place you would HAVE to have moonclips is shooting 45 ACP with the S&W Governor, which shoots 410 shotgun shells and 45 LC also.

I have a New Model Blackhawk shooter, that I bought a 9mm cylinder, and it fit. Shooting it in either configuration is delightful, and it makes the gun more versatile IMO.
gramps

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
I've often wondered if a NM 9mm cylinder could be fitted to an OM(three screw) frame? Would I best measure the original cylinder for length before shopping or what measurement come into play here?
Steve

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hi Steve,

No. The diameter is the problem. The OM 3 screw Rugers are built on the medium size frame. All the NM 9mm convertibles are built on the large frame. Therefore the NM cyls are too large in diameter to fit the OM med. Frames. You must find a mid frame size OM 357 cyl which is not difficult to find or expensive. You must find a mid frame size OM 9mm cyl.

OR: find an extra mid frame size OM 357 cyl which is not difficult to find or expensive.

A 9mm will not quite chamber in a 38 or 357 cyl; it will only go in about 1/2 way. If you hone about .005" from the rear 1/4" of the 357 chamber, the 9mm tapered case will chamber and fire reliably and safely. You must hone it so the 9mm rim extends out the rear of the chamber the same amount as the 357 rim thickness for reliable ignition.

Yes there will be some free bore in the chamber or 'bullet jump' until the jacketed bullets reach the chamber throat, but there they will be aligned with the barrel. Unless you need tack driving accuracy, you will have a "poor man's" convertible 9mm cyl. for fun and plinking. And you may be surprised at how well they shoot.

Latest posts