Ruger old army

Help Support Ruger Forum:

volshooter

Buckeye
My bud gave me a Ruger Old Army SS cap and ball. Fired once. It has been loaded for 13 years and I intend to remove the charges and clean even though it looks new. I know nothing about this firearm. Anyone care to school me?

schloss

Single-Sixer
It's junk. Pack it up and send it to me.

Seriously, though, black powder is hygroscopic, and you could have some decent corrosion in the cylinder. Pull the balls and caps, empty it out and soak it in warm soapy water. I've always just used dish soap. Pull the nipples while you're at it. Pretty much just soak it and clean it, scrub down with a toothbrush where needed. Inspect for corrosion after cleaning and drying. Look real carefully at the chambers.

They're basically just like any cap and ball, except they're built better, and stronger, and they're nicer. Ok, so they're completely different. Start with lighter loads. I prefer round balls, real black powder, and crisco. Cap and ball are a blast to shoot. So much fun. Clean as soon as possible after shooting.

coach

Hunter
I think schlos pretty much covered it. I would definitely remove the nipples to check for corrosion on the threads. A little liquid wrench might be needed if stuck.
I always liked wonder wads instead of crisco.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
you could pull those balls with a wood screw driven into them. then you won't risk a stuck ball from a punky charge. good luck, lots of fun.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I would shoot it to get it empty. Then I'd shoot it some more since it would have to be cleaned anyway. I do not store them for long loaded but I'll bet it fires just fine.

FWIW, my favorite Old Army load is the chambers level full of Pyrodex RS compressed by a soft .457 ball then topped with crisco. Unlike real black powder Pyrodex doesn't require frequent brushing of the bore to maintain accuracy and filling the chambers directly avoids the extra step of measuring powder charges.

It was suggested you start with light loads. This is a big heavy gun that won't recoil much with the realitively light round balls no matter what powder charge you use and Ruger's literature writes you can not harm it with any charge of black powder black powder substitute. There's no reason to start with mouse power loads.

SAJohn

Hunter
If you do not have a 3/16 nipple wrench I recommend that that you buy a Proto screwdriver 3/8" wrench. The last time I looked, Home Depot had them. They have a constant diameter shaft for a perfect fit on Old Army revolvers.

For details on taking it apart and cleaning, go to youtube and enter the search "old army disassembly".

I would pull the current load, making certain there are no caps.

John

volshooter

Buckeye
Really got to look at it today, along with all the stuff he gave me. It looks new, no drag marks nothing. It is clean. In the stuff he gave me was a wooden loading platform, 6 boxes of .457 round balls, 4 tins of #11 caps, felt wads, grease, powder measure that throws 20gs, capper and a couple of boxes of .454 conical projectiles and 3 pounds of FFF.
I feel like a thief. He would not sell it to me. A gift. If it were 100 years older he would have kept it.
I disassembled it and cleaned it, found a stink bug in the barrel. He is into older weapons and told me to re-grease the cylinder and shoot it.
It is like my birthday and Christmas all in one. This is the same pal that bought me a Trapdoor. He is 21 years my senior and my best friend. We talk every day and I visit often. Together we have rebuilt his collection of pre 1900 firearms. His was stolen before he moved here. Things like colt repeating rifle, volcanic pistol, yellow boy (5,000$) cash, rolling blocks, Spencer, all but one carbine made....still looking and others are what we speak of. Just today he let me load a Colt side hammer .32, not even a date on it.
I am going to pull up a manual for the gift so I don't mess anything up.
Right now with his data I am going to use 20gr of FFF under a round ball, sealed with BP grease.

schloss

Single-Sixer
Should make smoke and fun!

Get to it. I've always wanted to spend some time with a Volcanic. consider yourself fortunate.

volshooter

Buckeye
Finally got around to trying the thing. Bench was 20 yards from target. First pull of the long loaded pistol did not go bang. I waited 30 seconds still in firing position. I rotated same cylinder to fire again. Boom! The rest of them also fired when they came into position. This thing has been loaded for some time. The group minus one flier was tennis ball size. I suspect the first round that went might have been a flinch. Still it grouped very well with most holes touching. Very mild recoil.
PURE ENJOYMENT! It is recommended by Ruger to start with 20gr. If that was indeed the load.... it was loaded with...........I like it.

Rclark

Hunter
:D . Yep ... Lots of fun.... Glad you like it.

I too enjoy shooting my Old Armys and other BP guns. If it wasn't for having to dedicate time for clean-up (a must), I'd be shooting cap/ball a lot more often than I do.

volshooter

Buckeye
In the stuff he gave me was a box of wads. Do these go between the powder and ball or over ball? Do they need to be greased? Seems a felt wad would attract moisture.

coach

Hunter
If they are wonder wads, they are treated and I doubt they attract moisture.
https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/wonder-wads-.44-.45-cal-a1262

schloss

Single-Sixer
Over the ball to prevent chain fire.

Or use Crisco or any other number of things. Half the fun of black powder is finding cheap, ingenious, and available ways to do things.

edlmann

Blackhawk
SAJohn said:
If you do not have a 3/16 nipple wrench I recommend that that you buy a Proto screwdriver 3/8" wrench. The last time I looked, Home Depot had them. They have a constant diameter shaft for a perfect fit on Old Army revolvers.

Also, a similar wrench is available from Numrich:

1217880.jpg

Click here to figure out how to get free shipping.

Mohillbilly

Bearcat
I fill my 7 1/2 with pyro to the top and thumb a wonder wad . I compress the wad, load a ball , compressed as hard as I can by hand . mo measure just volume load . Cannot be done with black that way because it does not compress enough .....

volshooter

Buckeye
Don't know Bill. I done a remodel job for him many years ago. He was impressed with the work and hustle. We have been friends since. I have helped him do things on his place at no charge, just to help a pal. Firewood, hay, plumbing, electrical, mowing ect. just to help. Things that friends do for each other.
I admired his style. No cell phone, no micro wave, wood heat, when I met him he was using draft horses instead of a tractor. He is set in his ways for sure. He does things his way, the older way, and for that I liked him. He thinks he owes me.....I owe him for the knowledge he has given me as well as the advice he has given me when I asked for it. He is a retired local LEO.
Only recently did I found out he was from a influential/privileged family from PA. :shock:
His father and grandfather were doctors and invented some medical device. He came from money, live in maids, boarding schools and trust funds. He did not tell me his son did. Honestly I did not care as he was my friend the way he was. After that happened he told me he left me something in his will, I said "I don't want anything but your friendship." His response was "dammit, I only have 3 real friends in this world and you are one, my best one, I left you some money". I said "I don't care about your money". He said " I know, that is why I willed it to you". At that point I declined any further conversation and went home. Not mad but wondering if this info would change my feelings. I did not want to know any more.

I did not think about it again until his son talked to me. While my friend was on vacation to his place in Maine I went by to check on his son, also a friend. During our conversation he wanted to tell me about his Dad's will, I said "NO, it is none of my business, I don't want to know". Several times he asked "don't you want to know how much you get?" Trying to get out of there he asked me several more times, getting the same response from me.
He yelled it as I was getting out of there....I ignored it the best I could. He is my best friend. I do not give a rats ass what he has or is going to give to anyone, none of my business, don't care.

Little Bastard, why did he have to tell me? It is in the back of my little mind, like a tick.

I was happy with the way things were, I pray this will not change my feelings..............

volshooter

Buckeye
Sorry to bring this topic back up but I need advise. I finally got around to loading it with 20gr BP, round ball and a wonder wad. The entire loaded cylinder is bout 1/2 inch below the front. Must be a mouse load. I talked to him and he does not remember the load he used. I would like to find that for the accuracy proven. I will blast them off tomorrow. I have plenty of FFF powder as well as Pyrodex RS. I need some help here. I would like to use the FFF first, got 4 pounds and can get another 5 unopened pounds from a bud.
The balls were to deep to even grease. I would like to hear any suggestions as this is still all new to me.
Side note, in the stuff pal gave me was all the tools needed as well as a rammer extension to seat lower charges, nipple wrench, nipple cleaner and capper.
Thanks, Rick

Latest posts