GP100 or Security Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mykeal

Single-Sixer
May be going to an auction this weekend - the catalog lists 2 Rugers of particular interest:

RUGER SECURITY SIX STAINLESS STEEL REV.; 357 MAG. 6 SHOT; 6" BRL

RUGER MODEL GP100 REV.; 357 CAL.; 6 SHOT; STAINLESS; 6' BRL.; 12" OVERALL

At present I only own one Ruger revolver (not counting 7 ROA's): a Single Six convertible. I'm interested in .357 mag as that is my carry cartridge (S&W 60).

Assuming I will not be lucky enough to win both with my meager funds, which one should I aim for?
(I presume the GP100 does not actually have a 6 foot barrel, which, if it were true, would make it the clear choice.)

Amistad

Single-Sixer
I have a stainless, 2 3/4" bbl version of the Security Six wheelie. I really love it and will likely have this one the rest of my days. If I were making the choice you've posed, I'd go for the GP100. Since they are still being manufactured, finding parts would probably not be a challenge, if needed.) I sure wish they made a GP100 chambered in .44 Special. Now that would be one to hunt for!

Amistad

I like both, but I'm not a 6" type of guy. I'm not sure they are good for anything but target shooting. They are heavy and not much for concealed carry. If either one were a 4" I'd jump on that one. Other than that, I'd go with the best deal and see if I could swap it for something else you might want. Glad I'm not the one to make that decision. I think that's what you are going to have to decide. 357Mag is not much of a hunting gun either. I think those mostly start with a 4. Be sure and let us know which way you go. What are you planning to do with it besides shoot it? That might help you decide. Either one however would be ok for woods walking. For that I'd pick the Six. Let us know what you decide.

kctgb

Bearcat
I think the GP100 would be a better choice as it has a better lock up if my memory is correct. I had a security six years ago and in my humble opinion it wasn't as nice as my GP100.

If the price is right the six wouldn't be the worst revolver to have.

Good luck !

schloss

Single-Sixer
I would go after the security 6 without question. I can go to the store and pick up a GP whenever I want. I've been on a delayed quest for a security 6 for a few years now.

Depends on your primary use. For any carry but a shoulder holster, I'd go for the Security Six--just more efficient to carry in general. (But if the GP was 6" half-lug, it is almost light enough to carry in a hip holster.)

A full-lug 6" GP is really heavy, therefore accurate and steady to shoot once you get used to the weight. And you can shoot .357s in it all day long without beating up your hands or the pistola. .38 wadcutters are like shooting an air pistol.

But it is just too heavy for a long belt carry, IMO. Perfect "deer rifle" for a shoulder holster and a tree stand in deep woods.

I wish all of life's choices were this "hard"!

It really depends on what you want to do with it. If just target/range shooting, I'd go with the GP100. You can slick them up very well to be an extremely good shooter.

On the other hand, the Six series guns are very nice and if this Six is in really good condition, I'd go with it first, as others have said you can get a GP easily, but but can't gets a really good Six easily any more.

I have both, I collect the Six series so I am always on the lookout for them, but my regular shooters are GP's. The one that I fixed up for competition has a 6 lb DA pull and a 1 3/4 lb SA pull and it is deadly accurate.

Tough choice, hate to be you.

mykeal

Single-Sixer
Neither would be used for concealed carry - my carry gun is a .357 S&W Model 60 3" barrel; I'm very 'integrated' with it and will probably never use anything else. My hunting backup revolver is an ROA. The .357 Ruger would be a range/plinking gun and would most likely see .38 wadcutters most of the time. I expect that condition will make the final choice, but I appreciate the responses - they help me to organize my thoughts ahead of time. Of course, once the auction starts....

Mykeal, pre auction, look at the guns to see the condition. Consult whatever pricing guide you might have and set a max price. If during the auction things get crazy, don't get caught up in it. If it goes over your max price, then someone is probably paying too much. There will be others down the road that will be in your price range.

one shot hunter

Bearcat
It would be a Security Six for me. As already stated you can get a GP anytime and any place that sells guns. I also think it wouldn't be my choice for concealed carry. I use a LCP for that.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I have owned both, and now only own GP100 revolvers. I prefer the heft of the GP100 as well as the front cylinder lock up. However, either one will fulfill the purposes that you describe. I would handle both and compare the condition, and then follow your intuition. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Auctions can provide good buys or get crazy.

I have had both. Both were accurate, had good triggers. I shot the 4 inch barreled GP best, but probably because the Security 6 had a 2 3/4 inch barrel. I carried both. The GP-100 was my beginning carry when I became a deputy Sheriff-I qualified easily with a 95%. Hard decision. Of course the other replies were good. Check them over, and go for the one in the best condition. Decide how much money you are willing to spend and stick with that. :mrgreen: Good luck, and we expect, nay demand, an after action report! :shock: :D
gramps

Erich

Single-Sixer
I own a GP (and a Speed-Six) and have owned a Security-Six: in the 6" barrel length, I'd pick the GP and never look back at all. Neither will disappoint you, however. :)