Old Model flat top heavy 45 Colt conversion?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Is the old model flat top 44 mag suitable for a heavy six shot 45 Colt conversion? I've heard of these done on large frame new models. Basically the same cylinder dimentions as the five shot, but a six shooter at a little less pressure and velocity than the five shot. Also, how would a heavy five shot work out with a transfer bar conversion? Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
The Flattop 44 mag is a bit smaller than the Super Blackhawk 44 mag. If I were going to do a "heavy conversion" I'd look at the Super over the Flattop. The frame size of the Super is the same in the OM's & the NM's.

BearBio

Buckeye
I wouldn't do it. I'm sure you could trade it off for a SBH or a worn OM 45 and get some cash to boot. Then use the cash to have someone convert it to what you want. I have a 44 flattop (the old one, not the newer scaled down one), a 1976 SBH and an OM SBH. Traded something (forgot what) for another NM SBH and had Gary Reeder convert it to a five-shot 454.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I prefer the flattop's flat top strap, so if it turns out that such a conversion is not feasible on an old model flattop I would either go with an old model SBH converted to a flattop, or use a 50th anniversary frame. If the 50th anniversary frame is chosen, I will go with a five shot cylinder.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have a Bowen conversion of an OMFT to 45 Colt. Nice gun and nice shooter, but I not into heavy 45 loads, so should be no problem.

AJAX47

Bearcat
71shooter said:
I prefer the flattop's flat top strap, so if it turns out that such a conversion is not feasible on an old model flattop I would either go with an old model SBH converted to a flattop, or use a 50th anniversary frame. If the 50th anniversary frame is chosen, I will go with a five shot cylinder.
Brian Pearce has written that the original flat top was not heat treated to the same level as the SBHs or the current guns. Personally, I'd go with the 50th. In any case, good luck with the project.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
71 shooter,

When you read some of Linebaugh's musings about testing the Rugers for strength, it becomes apparent that one really has to work hard to do damage to their frames. The cylinders are the weakest link and way below the level that would result in frame damage. In other words you just about can't build a strong enough cylinder that won't let go way before the frame.

And you can do a whole lot more with the 45 at lower pressure than what it takes to do the same with a 44 at higher pressure. So what you give up in cyl wall, you gain back in 45 performance. Of course the 5 shot cylinder's main advantage in either caliber is to move the cyl notch between chambers in the thickest part of the cyl wall. But in practical terms for a carry gun, that makes an old model a 4 shooter. However, I still wouldn't worry about a six shot 45 cyl. with a properly heat treated/tempered cylinder like a Linebaugh or Bowen.

The new model transfer bar has no relationship to the cyl whether 5 or 6 shot, and therefore not affected at all. It's trigger actuated and travels the same distance whether a 5 or 6 shot cyl. The cyl hand (pawl) is the only change required for a 5 shot cyl; it must be slightly longer (and not always, but usually), than a 6 shot hand to move the cyl 72 degrees with each hammer cycle instead of 60 degrees with a 6 shot cyl.

I say go for it!

Sidebar:
I presume your screen alias comes from the love of the M71 Winch in 348. It's also my favorite lever gun. I also shoot a M94 Big Bore in .356 cal. Of course that's just a rimmed version of the Winch .358 bolt action round and .348 replacement cartridge. The .356 can be a real stomper in the same realm of its grandpappy, the .348. Both of which have their range extended way out there when handloaded with modern Hornady leverevolution soft tip pointed bullets giving them a brand new lease on life. These are safe in magazine rifles and wipeout the only real shortcoming these guns ever had, the limit of round nosed bullets.

Let us know what you decide.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I bought a like new 1955 Smith barrel a couple of weeks ago, and sent it to Bowen. With Bisley parts for old models now being made by Randal Power and David Clements, an old model Flattop Bisley is now easily possible. I will talk to Mr. Bowen soon regarding the feasibility of going with a heavier cylinder in the old flattop.
I do love the model 71 Win. I have owned six of them over the last 20 years. I am a shooter/hunter and not a collector, so I've come to love the Browning versions the best, as they are the most accurate. The 356 is a great round. Wish they had brought back the model 64 and chambered the .356 win.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Personally, rather than alter an increasingly scarce .44 OMFT, I would mill the ears off a NMSBH (I like the gripframe) and carry with 5 rds aboard...

Two centavos... :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
71shooter said:
I do love the model 71 Win. I have owned six of them over the last 20 years. I am a shooter/hunter and not a collector, so I've come to love the Browning versions the best, as they are the most accurate. The 356 is a great round. Wish they had brought back the model 64 and chambered the .356 win.

My favorite shooter is also a Browning carbine.

Yeah a 64 would be cool, a downsized M71. That's just too easy to make from a .356; change the butt stock, lever, and the forearm, and cut the mag tube! Transplanting a .356 barrel and carrier into a M64, wouldn't have the beefed up receiver.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Bucks Owin said:
Personally, rather than alter an increasingly scarce .44 OMFT, I would mill the ears off a NMSBH (I like the gripframe) and carry with 5 rds aboard...

Two centavos... :wink:

Since only a clean OM Flattop frame is needed for this conversion, I'm not planning on using anything remotely collectible as a doner gun. Finding one may be difficult, but I'm patient. However, if I had to use a nice one, I would not shed a tear. Several thousand of these were produced. After all, I am not chopping the barrel to 3" and having it parkerized, I'm having Hamilton Bowen (if he agrees to do it) turn it into something far nicer than it was originally.

John LInebaugh agreed to take an old model 44 and turn it into a 5 shot 475 for me a couple of years go so I do not see why someone like Hamilton could not make a tight chambered 6 shot gun on an old flat top. I would not hesitate for a minute but then I am not a Ruger collector but a converter. :wink:

bigbore45colt

Hunter
David Clements converted an Old Model 44 flat-top to 45 Colt for me about 10 years ago. He installed his Bisley OM parts on it as well so it is a 4 5/8" Bisley Flat-top 45 Colt. I don't see why it wouldn't handle heavy loads. I only shoot Keith loads out of it (250gr Dry Creek Keith bullet) at about 1050-1100 fps and it it does just fine with them.

BB45C

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Mr Bowen will not build a heavy six shot 45 Colt with cylinder dimentions similar to the five shot, as he fears a user further down the road might shoot five shot loads through it. While I am disappointed, I understand his logic. I am now on the hunt for an anniversary flattop 44 with sufficient space above the serial number (.04" to .05") to allow installation of a five shot cylinder. Thanks to everyone for their comments, advice, opinions etc.