Help Support Ruger Forum:

paul105

Single-Sixer
Davidson's has a generous supply of .480 Rugers Super Redhawks

2 1/2" Alaskan -- 39 ea
7 1/2" Super RH -- 99+
9 1/2" Super RH -- 72

For anyone interested:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=All&mdl=All&cat=All&type=All&cal=480RUG&fin=&sit=&zipcode=59701

Pual

MaxP

Buckeye
Paul, I think the 9.5-inchers are old stock -- they are listed as having black laminate grips -- old stock.

paul105

Single-Sixer
Max,

I too noticed the black laminate grips and thought old stock. Also looked like the finish was darker, although hard to tell from that picture. Kind of interesting though, when I bought my Alaskan a month and a half ago, the quantity of 9 1/2 inchers was less than 10 (don't remember the exact number) and now it's 72 -- inventory replenished from some source.

The 7 1/2" guns are on sale at Davidson's. They were the same price (delivered to my dealer) when I bought the Alaskan. Now the 7 1/2" is $70 or $80 less than the Alaskans.

FWIW,

Paul

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Rabon said:
I was looking at Rugers website and they are showing the 7.5" 480 SRH again. Is this for real or is it a mistake ? I thought Ruger had done about everything possible to kill the 480 Ruger maybe it's to good to die. :D

It's real! I saw one on a shop yesterday.

Three 44s

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Get one now. The 480R probably will be a "periodic production" run or more in the following years. It sells well for awhile...Unless they really re-market to hunters, a long gun in 480R is prob not in the cards. I still ponder how the decent, hunting employees didn't push for a lever 96/480 special run, I just don't know???

Seems the people I've met who've shot a 480R own a 480R shortly thereafter.

8)

Yep, I shot Ty's at the forum meet. I have the hots for one, but since I have just retired the cash isn't there. I would probably get the snub, because I envision it being used as medicine for large toothy things :). Hunting, I have .44 mags, .308 etc.
gramps

Charlie U.

Bearcat
MaxP said:
.......the new configuration. What "new" means is that there is a different barrel profile -- it is no longer tapered, but the same diameter the whole length of the barrel, a consequently different front sight, and the six-shot cylinder remains (of Carpenter 465) with new chamber dimensions to aid with extraction. Gone is the Target Gray finish and the 9 1/2-inch barrel is also gone. ............................I have a full test/feature coming up in Gun Digest magazine as well as a full feature in American Hunter about a trip I took with the .480 SRH to Argentina for big game.

Thanks for sharing that Max,
I was not aware that there was a new profile to the barrels.

IMO it would be a crying shame if Ruger were to give up on the 480R. It offers hunters a solid step up in bore size and power over the 44mag without going up into unmanageable recoil.

I have the 9.5" in brushed stainless. Got it back in 2011 just before they dropped them from production. I'm glad I snagged it when I did cuz I have only ever seen one other like it. One of my favorite pistols for sure!

480rugerSRHwith440grreloads008.jpg

Jan4th2014008.jpg

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
My experience with the 480 is limited to an afternoon spent with a friend's Raging Bull; barrel was 5" long IIRC. His happened to be an excellent specimen and I learned to appreciate the cartridge for its power, accuracy and mild manners. I am a long-time 45 Colt man but if I needed/wanted something bigger, a 480 SRH bobbed to 5" would be my pick.