gp100 22rf.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Just watched Ruger inside out they had a gp100 in a 10 shot 22rf. I do not need one but Ruger is coming of with lots of new stuff to keep us broke but happy.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
That would be cool. A modern Ruger version of the K22 . I would sell my SP101 .22 and fill that space with the GP22 in a heart beat. 4 or 6",either one. :wink:

Big Old Boy

Hunter
The one on TV was a 6in half lug stainless, no release date was mentioned but it looked sweet.

Thel

Blackhawk
Now, if they just would come out with a 4" half lug I would replace my Model 18. Agree with Chuck. Just when I thought one more Ruger revolver to fill out what all I have another comes along but now have something to look forward to in the future. A .44 mag GP100 along the lines of the S&W 69 would round out the picture. :p

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
Big Old Boy said:
Just watched Ruger inside out they had a gp100 in a 10 shot 22rf. I do not need one but Ruger is coming of with lots of new stuff to keep us broke but happy.

Looks like the marketing / sales group screwed up. One hand not knowing what the other is doing. That said - cool variant. If the trigger pull is acceptable, I'll buy one. 22's have usually have a stiff trigger pull due to ignition requirements from what I hear.

Hip Shot

DPris

Buckeye
If there were such a GP coming out, it could be said that the trigger would be much nicer than the heavy pull on the SP with its smaller internal geometry.

Heavier gun than a centerfire counterpart, but a better trigger than a small-framed steel .22.

That's if, of course.
Nothing officially announced yet.

But if it does come about, you might hear Ruger mentioning that trigger as a plus.
If. :)
Denis

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
DPris, I agree. Also the larger,heavier hammer with it`s longer stroke should not require extra stiff springs like the SP does to fire rimfire ammo reliably.

mjh

Single-Sixer
Dang just what I need to do, start saving for another $600 revolver, waited a long time for the sp in .22 don't know if I could afford another .22 revolver any time soon, would be interesting for sure, maybe trade one for the other, maybe not.....

k22fan

Blackhawk
I love a good rumor that might even be true. I can now hope that, 40 years late, Ruger will finally make my 6" .22 LR Security Six, or as close as they're going to get to one. If true I will buy more than one as variations come out and/or my budget allows. My guess is most of you will want a shorter barrel but my first choice is a longer one, so long as they don't make it too muzzle heavy. A .22 with the external apperance of the early 6" half lug .357s is the best starting point. I'd prefer it in a 6 shot but that doesn't seem to be the modern way.

Regarding trigger pulls, the DA on the couple .22 SP 101s I've handled was a turn off. Their mediocre DA is not just a consequence of frame size. My J frame .22s have much better DA pulls. I've found that in order to retain reliable DA ignition K frame main springs can't be lightened significantly. I have backed out the strain screw by ¼ turns then kept a log of missfires. An adjustment that gives reliable DA with one brick often fails with a different lot of cartridges. I presume SP 101s and any future .22 LR GP 100s will be the same.

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
K22fan,

It's not a rumor. I had DVR'd the show Ruger inside and out. The show is titled large framed handguns. The rep Kurt shows the gun first. It has the old gp100 wood inserted grips. It has a half shroud, 6 inch, 10 shot. Fiber optic front sight a and adjustable rear sight.

As far as trigger pulls, the LCR center fire trigger is better than its 22 variant. It seems that the rim fire versions require more hammer energy.

Hip Shot

jimd441

Blackhawk
If this happens and I truly hope it does, I will own at least one, preferably with the 6 inch barrel.

Jim

k22fan

Blackhawk
DPris said:
Word I get from Ruger is a 5-incher.
No mention of a 6.
Denis

Ruger might have Lobed off an inch because it felt too muzzle heavy. Apparently Ruger's manufactureing process does not include tapering revolver barrels which, unfortunatly, may limit how long it's practical to make .22 GP 100s. Alternatively they could be splitting the difference between 4" & 6" so they don't have to make both.

How do you get "word" from Ruger?

Cordite

Single-Sixer
>> How do you get "word" from Ruger?

Denis knows the right people along with several other forum members both here and the other forum. They seem to have a bit more info than the average bear about new goodies from Ruger.

I seem to remember an option in one of the Ruger Email survey questions about a .22 in a large frame revolver. I also remember choosing it as something I would buy... which I will do if it becomes available. Been looking hard at a S&W 617 but I'd rather have the equivalent in a Ruger.

Ruger is not helping my plan to pay off my credit card... :)

Cordite