45 Colt/ 45 ACP convertibles??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
How is the POI when going from .45 Colt to .45 ACP?
Have been thinking of getting a SA type revolver in this combo.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I own several of them. Shooting the same bullet in both the ACP and Colt cartriges at similar velocity they will print into the same group.
Now if ,for example, you shoot factory 230 gr ball ammo in the ACP and 300 gr cast at Ruger only loadings in the Colt you can not expect them to shoot to the same POI.
You have to experiment with your own gun to see how it does.
I love em.

Rclark

Hunter
That is why I load 250g RNFP in my .45 ACP to match my .45 Colt 250g RNFP loads. I don't have any 1911s... just revolvers and shoot mostly .45 Colt in my convertibles. You'll have to experiment with your own gun(s).

Varminterror

Blackhawk
More of the same response:

Same velocity, same POI. I've had good luck, even with the same cartridge, at matching my POI at moderate ranges if I match the muzzle velocity.

Mus408

Hunter
Thanks...I'm looking at these to be able to shoot the easy to find and cheaper .45 ACP ammo when I also have my 1911 out. I do have other Colt .45's too.

Imissedagain

Single-Sixer
I bought one many years ago and in '81 sent it to Ruger. They replaced and sent some extra hammer springs back with the gun. I mentioned that it might be shaving some lead and would appreciate if they would make the gun be the best it could be. I was fibbing about the shaving.
It was returned a couple of weeks later.
It also had a target with five holes in it. Spoke with the smith who worked on it and he said it shoots nice now.
Everyone who tries it comments that they never thought they could shoot so well.
Ruger has class. :)

s4s4u

Hunter
How is the POI when going from .45 Colt to .45 ACP?

If similar bullet weight they will shoot to a similar point. Velocity also plays a part, but weight moreso.

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
Mus408: I bought my RUGER BLACKHAWK 45LC & 45ACP CONVERTIBLE new in 1971. It has a 7 1/2 in barrel and other than a Trigger Shoe and a pair of Stag Grips it is still just like it was when I first bought it. And it is my favorite Ruger Single Action Pistol, I have been very forunate enought over the years to have bought several of them. I shoot 250gr LRNFP`s in the 45LC cylinder and 230gr LRN`s in the 45ACP cylinder that I reload myself. I load according to the book, factory FPS loads, the lions share of the time. And the 45ACP cylinder will shoot about an 1 Inch higher than the 45LC cylinder shooting off of a bench with sandbags. My old gun will shoot 6 rounds into group about 1/2 the size of a golf ball at 25yds from that kind of rest. It has always shot this good for me, for the entire 43 years I have owned it. Other than a little holster on the blueing on the inside end of the barrel it still looks like it did when I first bought it. This old gun and I have walked a lot of miles to grather and I have shot it 1000`s of times. And we have shared some unique memory`s to grather. As I said this is my favorite Ruger Single Action, and shooting Her is like holding hands with a very old and trusted Friend.
ken

Varminterror

Blackhawk
WIL TERRY said:
DO NOT FORGET: it is why GOD invented adjustable sights !!

5144.jpg

I'm not quite sure where the adjustment screw is on my new convertible? :twisted: