Single Six flatgate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Stopped by a couple gun shops while wife and daughter were shopping for some things for our newest great grand son. One of them had a really nice 5 1/2 in. Single Six made in 1956 with some really ugly grips, but everything else was really nice with vary little wear to the finish so it ended up fallowing me home. Now to find some better grips for it and a little extra time to see how it shoots. Never thought i would find a flatgate at a reasonable price, but today was a really good day. I think it is a RSS5 type 4.

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice find!
A set of original grips,,, (black rubber/plastic type) will set you back $90-$100 average for a good set. We've had a few appear lately in the classifieds.

street

Hunter
Nice find, those flatgates are getting harder and harder to find. As for the model number, back when your gun was made they didn't have model numbers. They were just called Ruger "Single-Six". The first time they had a model number was on the Distributor Price List Effective - March 15, 1957. They were listed as "RSS". There was no 5 included as that was the only barrel length in the Single-Six so there was no reason to add the 5. The first time they added the 5 to the RSS was April 10, 1959 as by then they had starting making the Single-Six with 4 5/8, 5 1/2, 6 1/2, and 9 1/2 inch barrels. The model numbers were RSS4, RSS5, RSSM, "M" for Magnum for the 6 1/2 in. bl. and RSS9.

Again nice find!!!!!

Nanchulla

Bearcat
You will find that to be one heck of a tack driver. Those .22 LR only barrels send that slug right down the pipe. I took mine to the gun club, and it darn near shot one hole from 25 yards in a Ransom Rest. No squirrel or rabbit is safe with a Flatgate around!