Well, I finally did it....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alii1959

Bearcat
I have a SP101 .357 2.25" barrel on order, should be here by Thursday. Can't wait. My first revolver. Will be CCW. However, I have developed deep seeded lust for a GP100....

This could be a problem....

Addiction?

Voodoosan

Bearcat
No sympathy from me on this issue. I picked up a mint stainless S&W 60 recently and turned around and got an LCR 357. About to buy a second LCR 357. No regrets....tho my wallet is a bit lighter now.

eveled

Hawkeye
alii1959 said:
I have a SP101 .357 2.25" barrel on order, should be here by Thursday. Can't wait. My first revolver. Will be CCW. However, I have developed deep seeded lust for a GP100....

Addiction?

I like my GP more than my SP, I don't find it much harder to carry. I'm not trying to be an enabler, but the SP, and the GP go together pretty well. Ed

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
alii1959 said:

Addiction?

Although you only show 4 posts, it says you have been a member since 2010. Surely you know by now that you are surrounded by the BIGGEST BUNCH OF ENABLERS in existence.... If worries about an addiction this is certainly not the place to look for relief from it. Tips on how to get another in the house unnoticed? Absolutely!

Kevin

jeffjeeptj

Bearcat
I love my 3" GP.
I suspect you will love your SP.

Many of us may think like a gun writer . . . . there is no gun we don't like!

:lol:

alii1959

Bearcat
Well,
Took her to the range twice in the last week. Shot 275 rounds. I really like this gun. Unfortunately, so do my targets. Got a couple of pristine ones that I used.....they are still pristine. Or at least mostly.

My first outing was quite bad. This is a very different beastie that my Bersa .380. By the time the hammer falls I have begun to watch butterflies or something. Keeping on target is a bit more difficult, at least in double action. Single action not so bad. But, I was not getting the reaction that I anticipated.

My second outing was much better. I am getting about 5-6" groupings. Not necessarily exactly where I want them, but at least there were holes in the target.

My conclusions: This will take some getting used to. All of my shots were at about the 25-30' range. For a snubbie this isn't too bad for a newbie. That is a very long pull for DA. I have figured out the breaking point and am getting better. Single action is very smooth. Both actions are predictable. Its not the gun, its the idiot with the finger that seems to be causing the problems.

I tried a couple of cylinders at 10' and did very well. I wouldn't expect to have an altercation at much more than that....or, at least, I hope not. I really like shooting it. I like the way it feels in my hand. I like the fact that I didn't have any failures or any kind. No feeding problems. No firing problems. No ejection problems. The aiming problems I can solve.

I will be adding a hi-viz front sight and wood grip inserts. Otherwise, I am excited to have begun my revolver journey.

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
Consider a lighter hammer spring. It is very easy to replace. The stock one is 14 lbs. I recommend a 10 or 11 lb. Anything lighter and you risk light primer strikes.
http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/RUGER/SP-101/cID3/mID52/dID234

Some additional reading fun.
http://www.sp101trigger.com/index.html