New LCR 9mm? Better than LCR 38?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
OldMarineVet said:
New LCR 9mm? Better than LCR 38? Any thoughts about this?

The 9mm should have greater power, greater recoil and greater muzzle flash.
It should be slightly faster to reload. I have been hoping Ruger would do this
or revive the 9mm SP101. I have been hankering for a 9mm revolver for a
while now.

s4s4u

Hunter
With similar weight bullets 9mm and 38+P will perform about the same from a snubby. I load the same charge of TG behind a 115 grain 9mm and a 125 grain 38. With moon clips the 9 will be faster to load, advantage there.

OldMarineVet

Bearcat
s4s4u said:
With similar weight bullets 9mm and 38+P will perform about the same from a snubby. I load the same charge of TG behind a 115 grain 9mm and a 125 grain 38. With moon clips the 9 will be faster to load, advantage there.

The reason I'm wondering about recoil, is my wife is going to try my LCR 38 with 132g 38 from an LCR 22L (close to zero recoil.) Sounds like recoil LCR 9mm with 115g won't be much different than 132g 38. Moon clip advantage is interesting. Maybe 5-Star will come out with 9mm speed loaders. Their 38 speed loaders work well for the LCR 38.

I'm guessing another advantage would be the cheaper 9mm ammo especially if you already have a 9mm pistol. I traded a 9mm pistol to buy LCR 38 and gave quite a bit 9mm ammo to relative... Even though I like firing the LCR 38 a lot, I would have bought the 9mm if it was available.

8th SPS USAF

Bearcat
I don't think the 9 LCR will recoil more than the 38. Cheaper by far factory anyway and you can find 9mm most places. I would like to try 147 9mm, but if like the 357 mag LCR nothing more than 130/135 gr, so maybe not?

welder

Buckeye
I had a Taurus 2" in 9mm and the recoil, IMO, was no more, possibly less than my 2" Smith in .38.

I like the 9mm revolvers and hope to get one of the new Rugers. I hope they offer it with the hammer also.

Terry T

Buckeye
9mm LCR is the same weight as the .357 LCR which is a couple of oz. heavier than the .38 spl LCR therefore... the 9mm might have less felt recoil than the .38 spl! :shock:

Wonder if the full moon clips for the SP-101 will work? S&W 940? I need one! (to keep the 2" & 3" SP-101 and the 2" & 3" S&W 940 company!) :D
Terry T

charlesappel said:
OldMarineVet said:
New LCR 9mm? Better than LCR 38? Any thoughts about this?

The 9mm should have greater power, greater recoil and greater muzzle flash.

I'm not sure about that. It's almost 4oz heavier, and probably shooting lighter bullets. I think recoil will be less on the 9mm.

And I like moonclips on a defensive gun. Faster easier reloads than 38's in a speedstrip, and smaller than than 38's in a speedloader.

I was just thinking that could have made the cylinder a little shorter, and lengthen the barrel.

9x19

Hunter
Terry T said:
9mm LCR is the same weight as the .357 LCR which is a couple of oz. heavier than the .38 spl LCR therefore... the 9mm might have less felt recoil than the .38 spl! :shock:

Wonder if the full moon clips for the SP-101 will work? S&W 940? I need one! (to keep the 2" & 3" SP-101 and the 2" & 3" S&W 940 company!) :D
Terry T

I wonder that as well... I have a bunch for mine, would be nice if the LCR used the same.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I've often thought I wanted a 9mm revolver. For my own uses I really don't see any advantage. I really don't like fooling with moon clips for extended shooting, but I guess it all boils down to the fact that I don't have one.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
It's a cool offering by Ruger. But as far as function, the KLCR 357 is the winner IMHO. You can shoot everthing from 38 wadcutters to full blown 357 loads. So pick your recoil/power.

meister mash

Bearcat
All that hype, oooo am I going to win something kool?
Nope, even if you do win it, it's not going to be kool.
6 Shot 327 in LCR=kool.
9 mike mike in a revolver dud.
Why 327 magnum?
Because 32 S&W and HR and even 32 auto would work in a belly gun.
Over hyped dud plain and simple.
The 38 special chambered lcr was just fine.

jjc333

Bearcat
I had the .38 and sold it after I fired 20 rounds through it. Too light for my arthritic hands and that grip didn't work for me. I own a S&W 60-12 that was converted to 9mm. It's fitted with Bianchi lightning grips and is a pleasure to shoot. Now that I see Crimson Trace is coming out with a bigger grip for the LCR I might just buy the LCR 9mm. With that grip and extra weight it should be fine to shoot.