New LCR 9mm? Better than LCR 38?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
Okay! Now it is time for Federal and or Hornady to produce a thick rimmed 9mm Auto Rim, not unlike the 45 Auto Rim. I know all about the Federal 9mm Rimmed produced years ago in partnership with Charter Arms that had the thin 'standard' rim.

Cheers,
W-W

Voodoosan

Bearcat
Its nice to see Ruger offering the LCR up in 9mm. Is a 9mm better than a 38 in this configuration? Well for me if I was going strictly on caliber I would take 9mm of a 38 but thats just me. However in the LCR line up I would personally take the LCR in 39 over a 9mm. Mainly because I dont like moon clips. But I am sure it will be fun to have!

writwing

Single-Sixer
When you compare similar bullet weighs of 9mm vs 38 ballistics from factory ammo shows the 9 a winner by a wide margin.

cas6969

Buckeye
Happy they're making it, but they're 10 years too late. They should have kept selling them in the SP101. Now with all the mini semi auto 9's (not to mention 40's and 45's) the demand isn't what it used to be and the "same caliber backup gun" market is gone.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
cas said:
Happy they're making it, but they're 10 years too late. They should have kept selling them in the SP101. Now with all the mini semi auto 9's (not to mention 40's and 45's) the demand isn't what it used to be and the "same caliber backup gun" market is gone.

With the micro 9mm's on the market, that's a good point about the "same caliber backup gun". I can't see a big demand either.

cas said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bob R

Single-Sixer
The Moon Clip 9mm LCR has a couple things going for it.
Ejection!! The LCR, and all uther 2 inch snubs have a SHORT Ejector Rod. With long cartridges you need to get the muzzle vertical and slap the rod hard to get all the brass out of the cylinder.
The short 9mm takes far less ejector stroke to get out of the cylinder.
Ejection!! With moon clips all 5 rounds are held together which aids in getting all the brass out of the gun. If you short stroke the rod, you can easily grab the cluster and get the cylinder cleared.
Reloading: The LCR does not have the same cylinder spacing as a J Frame. That means you need a 5 Star Turn Knob speed loader for things to go right all the time. The 5 starts are expensive.
Moon Clips are normally reasonably cheap.
California Competition Works makes a J Frame Shoot A Moon moon clip belt carrier. It works with 9mm as well as 38 Moon Clips. I have a 442 Pro moon clip, and I have a couple J Frame Shoot A Moon belt carriers.

I have a 625, 610, a 686 and a 442 all cut for moon clips. I have also owned an SP101 in 9mm. Any one who doesn't think a moon clip reload beats a speed loader reload needs more time off the couch, and at the range.

Just my 2 cents

Bob R

Latest posts