9mm LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Ruger has announced that they are now producing the LCR in 9mm.

I already own two 9mm SP101s, 2" and 3" so I'm all for 9mm revolvers. Moon clips aren't all that bad and really are pretty handy once you get used to them. For those who say "why not go the route that Charter Arms did with the Pitbull?" If they work so well why isn't Charter selling them by the truckload?

The only thing hanging me up on this new 9mm LCR is that it basically weighs the same as the 357 LCR and that extra weight may just be too much for me to consider dumping my 38SPL LCR for the heavier 9mm LCR. I primarily pocket carry and a few extra ounces can make a world of difference.

9mm ammo is more plentiful and cheaper. And, 9mm performs better out of a short barrel than 38SPL or 357 Mag which is really best out of a 4" barrel or bigger. IMO 357 Mag shot out of snubbies is for masochists and machismo. Great round yes, but not out of a 2" barrel with extra recoil and flash.

Still happy that Ruger has listened to the public. But for the sake of the value of my 9mm SP101s I hope they don't reintroduce those.

http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_...R-5456-9mm.pdf
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

oregon73

Blackhawk
All I can say is Yes!

I've been wanting Ruger to build a 9mm LCR for a long time now. I'm glad they did and I hope to get one (or two) soon!

Specs

Single-Sixer
Too bad they can't make it a convertible. I know, double action is a problem, but there should be a way. In these days of ammo shortages we need all of the flexibility we can get.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
rammerjammer said:
The only thing hanging me up on this new 9mm LCR is that it basically weighs the same as the 357 LCR and that extra weight may just be too much for me to consider dumping my 38SPL LCR for the heavier 9mm LCR. I primarily pocket carry and a few extra ounces can make a world of difference.

I agree. Make the same weight as the 38 special version then I'll order two. One for each pocket!

8th SPS USAF

Bearcat
I own an LCR 357 mag also, but sold a SW 940 and 547 yrs ago and wish I had them back at the price I got for them. But now the LCR 9mm will fill the gap. I called Ranch Products this AM, after I heard, and the nice lady in CS said see would talk to Steve (owner)about the idea that their 5 shot "J" frame 9mm moon clips will work. I think they might as the HKS "J" frame speed loader does, and they look heavier than the Ruger ones IMO. The ones from Ruger look thin like the old SW
ones do. Yes, it is heavier by 1 tenth-- 357mag 17.10 9mm 17.20 oz.

Mus408

Hunter
Well can they squeeze it out to S&W 40?? Would be nice to have one to go along with my Glock 23...same ammo!

9x19

Hunter
8th SPS USAF said:
I own an LCR 357 mag also, but sold a SW 940 and 547 yrs ago and wish I had them back at the price I got for them. But now the LCR 9mm will fill the gap. I called Ranch Products this AM, after I heard, and the nice lady in CS said see would talk to Steve (owner)about the idea that their 5 shot "J" frame 9mm moon clips will work. I think they might as the HKS "J" frame speed loader does, and they look heavier than the Ruger ones IMO. The ones from Ruger look thin like the old SW
ones do. Yes, it is heavier by 1 tenth-- 357mag 17.10 9mm 17.20 oz.

The Ruger clips work great for me in my SP-101... the Ranch Prod clips can sometimes be too thick. I had problems with them in two different Speed Six revolvers... I sanded them down a bit to eliminate cylinder drag.

8th SPS USAF

Bearcat
Hunter,
SP -101 use 5 shot moons from Ruger? If they work for you then that is great. Hope the SP 101 fit the LCR-I would hope Ruger would be that smart? What demooner tool do you use/have?

Sorry to high jack the post, but maybe some others are wondering the same thing.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Bear Paw Jack said:
I've already got a couple of 357's in the LCR. Don't get no better than that. Sounds like a good idea but for another $400 + I think my 357 will get any job done a 9mm will.

That...and ain't messing with moon clips.

I will just have to get by with my .357.

9x19

Hunter
8th SPS USAF said:
Hunter,
SP -101 use 5 shot moons from Ruger? If they work for you then that is great. Hope the SP 101 fit the LCR-I would hope Ruger would be that smart? What demooner tool do you use/have?

Sorry to high jack the post, but maybe some others are wondering the same thing.

The 9mm uses 5 shot moon clips from Ruger... I use a home-made tool to remove the spent brass (1/2" thin wall tubing sectioned at the top), but I don't have a picture of the tool handy. Here's a pic of the moon clip with one of my SP101s

RugerSP101-9_zpse4cb6dbb.jpg

toysoldier

Hunter
If they shortened the frame and cylinder to match the length of the 9mm, maybe. Otherwise, what's the advantage? Only Taurus has done this, with their .380 acp revolver (which I'm still waiting to see in .22).

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=853&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

9x19

Hunter
Bear Paw Jack said:
I've already got a couple of 357's in the LCR. Don't get no better than that. Sounds like a good idea but for another $400 + I think my 357 will get any job done a 9mm will.

Jim Luke said:
That...and screw messing with moon clips.

I will just have to get by with my .357.

If you guys will just point out the meanies who are trying to make you use a 9mm LCR instead, we'll tell them to stop. :mrgreen:

Joezilla

Bearcat
I am definitely getting one of these bad boys!! I stopped by the local Bass Pro a couple of days ago and the guys behind the gun counter had not heard of this model yet. They said it would probably be 6 months before they got any to sell.

I'll be checking elsewhere now.

Joe

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
Glad to see Ruger coming out with even more options for their popular guns. If this had been available a year ago, I might've gotten one.
I went with the 38sp model as I was hoping the wife would end up carrying it -- she hasn't taken to carrying yet.
I doubt I'll get rid of it and buy the 9mm model, but maybe a 9mm SP101 is in the works, and that would probably be the one I'd get.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Joezilla said:
I am definitely getting one of these bad boys!! I stopped by the local Bass Pro a couple of days ago and the guys behind the gun counter had not heard of this model yet. They said it would probably be 6 months before they got any to sell.

I'll be checking elsewhere now.

Joe

They are already popping up on Gunbroker, so I bet the local FFL's will have them fairly soon. I mentioned to my FFL Friday and he said he already had four on order.