NRA RUGER 44-40 VAQUERO

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Downwind

Bearcat
I happened to see one of these at a gun show at what seemed to be a fair price.

It has a 6 1/2" barrel, Color case finish frame, and wood grips with NRA emblem.

Through my research, there seems to have been 500 or 550 of them (depends on who you talk to) made for "FRIENDS OF THE NRA" events.

Was looking for a shooter and not a collector.

Should this be left as a collector or made into a shooter.

Unfortunately, it seems to have the dreaded throats too small for the bore (throats .425- bore .430 best I could tell with verniers, all I had)

Any one have a "REAL WORLD" value on this item?

The "TINKERER" in me wants to jump on this project.

Anyone have any further information on this piece?

THANKS
DOWNWIND

Timbo22

Single-Sixer
Downwind,

I have two of these Vaquero variations for my collection but have never fired them. I do not know how many were made, but they were the ONLY Vaquero made with a 6 1/2" barrel and I believe that 44-40 were the least common caliber of the nearly 400,000 made (if all the serial numbers were used). It is a unique and beautiful example of the Vaquero.

What is it "real world" value? To a Vaquero collector perhaps $450-$500. There were lots of other short run Vaqueros at least as rare as this variation; various blue/CC or stainless Sheriff's, Birdsheads, Bisleys, and duel cylinders versions in 45 Colt/ACP, 38-40/40 S&W, and 32-20/32 H&R. They all compete for a collectors attention.

If you want yours to be a shooter, another path you explore would be to buy a 44 Magnum cylinder from a Super Blackhawk as a possible drop in replacement. That would allow you to shoot 44 Specials and Cowboy loaded 44 Mags. Straight walled cases are much easier to reload too.

Good luck,
Tim

k22fan

Blackhawk
I can't imagine this one being valued differently than commemoratives. Unfired NIB commemoratives are worth less than undecorated but other wise identical NIB guns. They sell for roughly what the standard gun sells for in 90-95% condition. Other than misguided "investors", I've only seen people buy commemoratives to get features not offered in the manufactures' regular line or they were willing to over look the decorations to get a gun for less.

However, the salesman's mythical collector of unfired commemoratives may actually exist. If so he's most likely panting in the back of Big Foot's cave, worn out after fleeing from another hoard of NIB commemorative sellers.

ElToro

Single-Sixer
I have a NIB 1of 750 MKII .22 won at an NRA dinner and engraved as such on the barrel. I'd trade it or sell it off but for the life of me can't find a MKII to replace it.

I wouldn't have bought it that way or paid a premium. I suggest if you want a 44 vaquero buy it and shoot it and value it as that.

I had a couple Vaquero 44 40 not the nra model.
Trouble is with them Ruger put .429 barrels on them should have been 427
Accuracy was less than good, spoke to Ruger at their Newport facility about it
on at least two occasions with no satisfaction. I sold those two off come to find
out I have heard they will now replace the barrels, Too late for me but not for you.

Cllectable maybe. ps

chet15

Hawkeye
There were 550 of the BNV-406 produced. They were sold at "Friends of NRA" events around the country.
Some day, maybe this one will receive the collector recognition it deserves, because there will never be any more. There just aren't enough collectors out there to take up even that meager 550 quantity, otherwise the values would be higher.
Chet15

Downwind

Bearcat
powder smoke said:
I had a couple Vaquero 44 40 not the nra model.
Trouble is with them Ruger put .429 barrels on them should have been 427
Accuracy was less than good, spoke to Ruger at their Newport facility about it
on at least two occasions with no satisfaction. I sold those two off come to find
out I have heard they will now replace the barrels, Too late for me but not for you.

Cllectable maybe. ps

"I have heard they will now replace the barrels"

Is there a source for this quote? If so, it sure would be helpful information to have if I call Ruger.

Personally, I haven"t found any info pointing to the fact that they ever produced a barrel with a .427 bore, but I'm now hoping.

THANKS
DOWNWIND

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy!
Actually, Ruger will fix the cylinder so it shoots .430 bullets. Frankly, I don't mind that Ruger put .429 barrels on their 44-40s. It lets me use components for 44mag/special, which are much more available and in wider selection, than stuff for 44-40 at the old .427 diameter. It also allows one to find and fit a 44 mag cylinders as mentioned above, giving one a very nice convertable!

mhblaw

Blackhawk
In 1976 I purchased a Ducks Unlimited Winchester Super X 12 ga. with beautiful wood for $900. Sold it in 2000 for $450...still unfired in the box.