Went to pick up my Ruger Single 7 in 327........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JD2

Bearcat
My dealer dealer called yesterday to tell me that my Ruger Single 7 in 327 was in, so I headed down to pick it up today.... Big disappointment...

Taking it out of the box and examining it, I found numerous flaws including:

Barrel / cylinder gap was .005 at the bottom and .015 at the top :(
The grip frame, on the left side of the trigger guard, was VERY rough as cast metal that had never been cleaned up
One of the grip screw was beyond buggered up.... Bubba did a good job on this one!!!
The left side of the top strap had numerous crescent marks, I assume from the punch Bubba used when he drove in the rear sight pin.
The grips were up to 1/10" undersized from the grip frame in places. Looked like hell.....
Grip frame had lots of really sharp rough edges
Very poor polishing. Uneven and inconsistant.

I could deal with all of it myself except the barrel / cylinder gap; that's a deal breaker.... It's too bad because I was really excited about getting this to go with my other Ruger Single Sixes in 32 Mag.

So instead of coming home with me, this one is on its' way back to Lipseyes. No way that this one should have ever left the factory. I hope the next one shows a little more quality.....

Bubba is Cletus' cousin. Bubba "fixes" guns with pliers and a large hammer while Cletus is an expert on all manner of firearms data including the fact that ya don't hafta pay no 'tention to all that SAAMI stuf 'cause he ain't blowed up no guns . . . yet.

For what they're charging for those things, I think that's too many shortcomings. I'd certainly give one close scrutiny before laying my money down.

JMHO

:)

;)

JD2

Bearcat
No, I didn't shoot it. If I had taken it from the shop then Lipseys would not have taken it back, and I would have been forced to send it to Ruger and wait while they tried to fix it...

But why even shoot it? A cylinder gap that goes from 0.005 to 0.015 is way out of line. Could you imagine the blast you would get out of a 0.015 inch gap with the pressures generated by the 327? Why pay my hard-earned money for something that is defective right out of the box?

Mus408

Hunter
Hope they make it right for you. You would think the dealer would open it up and take a look for any issues before giving you a call.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I am hoping to get one of these. Guess I'll be giving it a good look before accepting. I have often wondered if a gun is not accepted, and returned to a distributor, such as Lipsey's or Davidsons, do they return it to Ruger, or do they just return it to stock and hope the next customer does not notice the flaws?

How in the world did you notice the cylinder gap? Did you have some calipers? The difference just would not be apparent to the naked eye. At least my eyes. The other flaws i can see how you would notice them.

Did the shop tell you if you would get another one?

jsh

Single-Sixer
Interesting. I am going to keep an eye on this thread if you would be good enough to keep us informed of what transpires.
Jeff

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
How in the world did you notice the cylinder gap? Did you have some calipers? The difference just would not be apparent to the naked eye. At least my eyes. The other flaws i can see how you would notice them.

Did the shop tell you if you would get another one?

It 's measured with a set of feeler gauges...not a caliper. If the gap is 3x wider on the top side than the bottom, the naked eye (maybe with dime store readers) definitely oughta be able to notice, especially when held up to light.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
By the time my 7.5 inch model is ready they will have the bugs worked out:)

Seriously, Ruger needs their corporate head examined for allowing a revolver with those defects past QC.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Saw this - I had a similar disapointment at my LGS. Ordered a 5.5" and it came in this week. I rejected it and my resident 'smith ( a former Ruger employee) did too.
Sharp edges all over. Grips were just a plain a lousy fit, uneven and smaller than the frame all-around. Front sight had been dinged and showed a shiny peened "ear". There were deep threading cuts in the frame window from the barrel/frame threading operation.
But the worst part was POOR revolver-smithing - the BC gap was extreme (we didn't measure it but everyone said "wow, how sad". Potential accuracy problems aside, I know shooting it at the range I'd be a danger by spitting hot shavings and burning powder sideways...
This was the worst revolver I've seen Ruger ship in my days. Maybe just a rookie/training day gun? But I expect and demand better. :(

JD2

Bearcat
Mohavesam,

Interesting as mine was a 5.5" model too.... Sounds like yours had many of the same problems that mine had.

I hope that Ruger can get their act together and produce some decent guns....

glenncal1

Bearcat
I have a 7.5" on order too. I hope these are just early production anomolies. I sold my .327 Blackhawk because I thought these would be more suitable to the cartridge. That gun was beautiful.

JD2, sorry to hear of the problems ( issues) but you did RIGHT, one must look over and examine closely BEFORE accepting ,doing the paperwork, or leaving with it...and all of the issues noted, CAN be "seen" with the naked eye, takes no gauges or tools to see the obvious....when we had all of our shops years ago, we opened, looked at and inspected EVERY gun coming into the shop, nip things in the bud, BEFORE any customer, if "cosmetic" we fixed things ourselves, save time, easy enough, BUT makes you wonder how some things ever get by inspection, test firing and final shipping these days....like used to happen, the shippers NEVER opened or looked at the contents, just read the label and note this in the logs, then wonder why a blue gun is in a stainless box or a shorter barrel , in a LONGER box, with the wrong labels, again, all too often and a common thing......people not doing their job or in too big a hurry ( as well as management hounding them to "gitter done" and moved out ...............manufacturing , mass production at its 'finest', people making things for other people....... 8)

Just like all the recalls ,,,,ALWAYS time to redo, remake, repair, ,instead of building it RIGHT , testing things out, BEFORE hand.....hmmmm. 8)

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
If I ever get the 7.5" Single Seven I ordered, I will inspect it closely. Wouldn't bother me if mine takes a while, hoping that Ruger makes some improvements first.

Thanks!

32magfan

Blackhawk
I picked up my 5.5" today and got to the range for 5 full cylinders of reloads. It has none of the above issues. Cylinder gap is .004. It shot pretty well. I am pretty rusty but I really liked the feel of it. I want a 4-5/8" & a 7-1/2" also.
one thing i did notice was the grip shape. There is an indention where your thumb goes. It is slight but i like it. :mrgreen:

Thanks,
32Magfan

toroflow

Single-Sixer
Good to hear no problems on the last two guns. I am impatiently waiting for my 7.5" to get here!