Went to pick up my Ruger Single 7 in 327........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ethang

Blackhawk
Has anybody posted a range report yet? I got the call from my guy that mine is in but it will be later in the week before I can get over to pick it up.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Well I was hoping these were isolated problems and mine would not have issues, but no such luck.

I eagerly made the trip to my gun shop to pick it up. First thing I checked was the BC gap. It was HUGE. Eye balling it between my 32 mag and several other Rugers there in the shop the difference was tremendous. You can read the invoice through the gap. I tried to get some cell phone picks of it..

The finish issues are less of a problem to me, but in reality it looks like it was polished by Helen Keller.

I didn't get pictures of it but very deep tooling marks in the frame window on the breech face. The pin for the rear sight was apparently almost falling out, but Chris had already pushed that back in before I got there.

I didn't shoot but did check out the cylinder as well as possible. I only had factory 32 Magnum rounds to test fit. It seems one chamber is tighter then the others. The factory fired case looked normal.

They are calling Ruger in the morning to send it back. I can understand if the polishing gets past Quality control but I don't know how that BC gap made it.

RICHP

Single-Sixer
I used to work for the company that made the sanding belts for them. If they found one bad belt they would send the entire shipment back to be inspected. Just sayin.

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
Got one of the 4 5/8" in today. With the exception of undersized grip panels it suits me fine. Must have been the day off for the chimpanzees in the finishing and QC departments. More are headed this way.

(After posting the pics, I noticed the visible gap at the distal end of the ejector rod housing. Half a screw turn fixed it.)

Ethang

Blackhawk
That one looks much better all the way around then mine. Just eyeballing your BC gap it is half as big. Glad you got a good one.

longears

Single-Sixer
Received the 5 1/2 " model, fit and finish was good but has issues with chambering factory American Eagle 327 ammo and ejecting spent case.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Just got the word mine is should be here tomorrow. It's a 5 1/2". Keeping my fingers crossed it's a good one.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Just picked up my Single Seven in 5.5" and the revolver is nice in every way. Tight cylinder lockup, great finish, even the grips fit right.
.005 b/c gap. Fired cartridge envelope date: 23 Sep 2014. Not even two weeks from mfg to Lipseys to my LGS.

Action is just a bit stiff but it is a brand new gun so that is expected. Haven't fired it yet so I can't comment on chambering or ejection.

If anyone is on the fence about ordering one from Lipsey's I'd say go for it. They are a limited run and may not be available later.

Cordite

Joe S.

Hunter
This is true. Even if mine has to go back to ruger, I will be glad that I have it and know it will be right eventually

frankenfab

Single-Sixer
Just picked up my 5.5". Awesome gun by initial inspection. BC gap is tight, all the grinding on the back of the hammer is on the same plane, no booger marks whatsoever. Haven't chambered any ammo yet, but I'm optimistic and happy!

RICHP

Single-Sixer
Picked my 5.5 in. up today. Over all it looks pretty good, grip panels are too small, frame pins are a little long, shot way too low for me with Fed. 100 gr. jsp,s. I fired twenty-six rds. 327 and 5 rds. of .32 mag.
I noticed that the firing pin strikes the primer about half the width, of the firing pin to the right. Is this something I should worry about? A plus to this is at least I can tell which gun the brass had been fired in before it is deprimed. Over all I really think some of you were right about this platform being more suited to the cartridge.

Richard

frankenfab

Single-Sixer
Ruger has finally built the ultimate production 327! It's what a lot of true single action fans have asked for since the caliber came out.

Thanks Lipsey's !

frankenfab

Single-Sixer
RICHP said:
Picked my 5.5 in. up today. Over all it looks pretty good, grip panels are too small, frame pins are a little long, shot way too low for me with Fed. 100 gr. jsp,s. I fired twenty-six rds. 327 and 5 rds. of .32 mag.
I noticed that the firing pin strikes the primer about half the width, of the firing pin to the right. Is this something I should worry about? A plus to this is at least I can tell which gun the brass had been fired in before it is deprimed. Over all I really think some of you were right about this platform being more suited to the cartridge.

Richard

Richard,

The firing pin strike being off center indicates a less than perfect alignment between the barrel centerline and the recoil shield. You see it in a lot of guns, and it won't be a problem as long as you are getting consistent ignition.

It would require a new frame or extensive disassembly and custom work to fix. It's not necessarily bad, unless it bothers you, or the gun just won't function consistently.

Joe S.

Hunter
Picked mine up tonight. Saw a couple very minor places that werent polished out completely but you really have to look for them so no complaints by me. Grips were a tad short but didnt fit any worse than other factory guns i've had. 0.008" gap on all 7 chambers. Got a piece of curly maple at the shop that oughta make some fine panels for it if i can ever get a day in the shop. Fired cartridge date was 9/24/2014.

Thanks to Gunsbam69 for getting the buy going and thanks to Jason at Lipseys for getting this goin. May be added to my perfect packin pistol list.

ekX31a.jpg

jkL9Ft.jpg

**EDIT**
Shot it today. base pin keeps trying to jump out on me. gonna order a belt mt pin and latch i think. been wanting to try one for a while anyway...