DAO GP 100 #'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tascofeldman

Bearcat
I'm sorry if this has been covered before, I've been unsuccessful in finding what I'm looking for. I'm looking at a 3' GP100 in DAO, the guy wants $450 for it. I've been wanting a 3' for a long time but am unsure of the DAO version. was this a LE revolver, special order, fluke or is something broken. Can this be repaired/reversed and how would I go about it? thanks ahead for all the sage advice and wisdom I Know is headed my way!

It can be reversed by removing the DAO hammer and replacing it with a standard GP100 spurred hammer. Not real hard to do even if one is minimally mechanically inclined.

To get the info about the gun you'll have to converse with Ruger.

hittman

Staff member
Seems these days anything under $500 for a GP100 in nice condition is about right.

tascofeldman

Bearcat
It has the spurred hammer. I understand the hammer does not lock back in the SA position, only operates as a double action. I will have the gun in hand tomorrow so I will know more. I'm probably gonna go ahead and bring it home. Just wondering if this might be a factory job or a custom job. It looks like a spur less hammer would have been used. Not really a deal breaker as a carry gun would be used in a DA manner anyway. Just wondering if it's a lock work issue or something more.

Terry T

Buckeye
Does it have 'CAI' electric penciled on the side of the frame? If so it is a re-import from Canada and we believe they were used by the Montreal Police Dept.
A SA/DA hammer should be a 'drop in'. Some parts are showing up on e-bay from time to time, by the way.
If it is a CAI gun, I'd keep the original hammer as I believe at some point these guns may have some collector value.
Terry T

eveled

Hawkeye
Doesn't sound right to me, if it has the spur it should stay back when you cock it. A factory DAO gun has no spur, and won't lock back if you manage to cock it.

Since it has a spurred hammer, remove the hammer and see if it has had the single action cocking notch removed. If it has, then putting in a new hammer will fix the problem of no SA function.

I agree with Terry T, check for ANY additional markings on the gun to give us an idea of where it might have come from. Under $500 is a good deal and unless it has been severly abused it will be a good shooter and last darn near forever.

tascofeldman

Bearcat
Ok, took delivery of this gun this afternoon. yes, it does have CAI of Georgetown, Vt in scribed on the right hand side just above the trigger guard. The serial number on Ruger's website put it @ a '92 model. It has some character to it but nothing that can't be buffed out. I looked at the exploded diagram for this gun and cant see where anything is missing or modified so it must be some subtle changes here or there. It is NASTY on the inside and have it taking a much needed bath right now. Shot it this afternoon before disassembly to test function and aside from a "gritty' feel about half way through the pull it shot great! It has found a home right between the SP101 and the RedHawk. Thanks for all the advice, I believe I'm going to dig just a little deeper and see if I can find more info on this gun.

Terry T

Buckeye
All of the 'CAI' guns that I've seen had a spurless DAO hammer. I'm kind of wondering if someone either unsuccessfully tried to convert it to SA/DA or Ruger filled the contract with a DAO spurred hammer?

A third possibility is that it's so gritty / dirty inside that the SA groove on the toe of the hammer was either destroyed or filled with dirt, preventing it's use. Take a good look at the hammer after it's been cleaned.
You might have to compare it to the Redhawk or SP-101 hammer to see.
Terry T

lfpiii

Blackhawk
eveled said:
Doesn't sound right to me, if it has the spur it should stay back when you cock it. A factory DAO gun has no spur, and won't lock back if you manage to cock it.

Over the years both Ruger and S&W have produced DAO guns with the hammer spur. This is normally done as at the request of a department that wants to continue using a specific model holster.

LEOs are limited to Cobra or DeSantis on spurless guns. Just remeber the batch of SP-101s sold at CDNN five or so years ago. The guns were DAO with hammer spurs. If I remember they had been State Department firearms.

Terry T

Buckeye
lfpiii,
I've learned that the 'State Dept.' ring hammer DAO SP-101s were not U.S. State Dep. issue but seem to have been ordered by one of the state's state dept. These 'state departments' are usually tasked with licensing regulations.

Here is the web site for New York's Dept. of State, for example:

http://www.dos.ny.gov/

I have yet to uncover which state ordered these. My guess is the were used by plain clothed investigators.
Terry T

eveled

Hawkeye
lfpiii said:
eveled said:

Over the years both Ruger and S&W have produced DAO guns with the hammer spur. This is normally done as at the request of a department that wants to continue using a specific model holster.

LEOs are limited to Cobra or DeSantis on spurless guns. Just remeber the batch of SP-101s sold at CDNN five or so years ago. The guns were DAO with hammer spurs. If I remember they had been State Department firearms.

Thanks for the correction, I had no idea. Makes sense for holster retention I guess. Ed

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Terry T said:
lfpiii,
I've learned that the 'State Dept.' ring hammer DAO SP-101s were not U.S. State Dep. issue but seem to have been ordered by one of the state's state dept. These 'state departments' are usually tasked with licensing regulations.

Here is the web site for New York's Dept. of State, for example:

http://www.dos.ny.gov/

I have yet to uncover which state ordered these. My guess is the were used by plain clothed investigators.
Terry T

I had heard both stories but the one I received had a Federal inventory sticker on the inside of one of the grip panels.

Terry T

Buckeye
lfpiii,
Oh, Wow! I spoke with a U.S. Dept. of State firearms instructor who was tasked with training D of S overseas and in the states and he was adamant that they never had the SP-101s! He was retired but had been active service in the correct time frame and was one of the lead firearms guys for Dept. of State.

I'd love to see a photo copy of your Federal inventory sticker. Can't say that I ever took my grips off to look under on the example that I have. Hmmm..... :shock:
Maybe tomorrow - it's at the bottom of the safe :oops:
Terry T

tascofeldman

Bearcat
After a thorough cleaning (BAD NASTY!!!), the hammer still will not lock back. Sent CAI an email asking about the origin of this gun. I plan to call Ruger tomorrow when I get the chance. It's had a few miles on it, had to gently work out some nicks, burs and rough spots. The panels are cracked so I thought I'd swap them out for another pair I had put back. The panels are not the same nor is the rubber grip. The ones on the gun are smaller. Oh well, gives me a chance to buy something a little dressier. Anyone have suggestions? I'm looking at Altamonts but kinda like the Hogue secret service grips.

Terry T

Buckeye
The fixed sight GP-100s use the compact GP-100 grip which uses the same panels at the SP-101!
There is a good demand for the compact GP-100 grip, should you decide that it's too small for you. It can be sold here or on e-bay.
The standard adj. sight GP-100 grip also fits the fixed sight guns - the grips are interchangeable. I have a small hand and actually use the compact grip on my adj. sight GP-100s.
Terry T

tascofeldman

Bearcat
Thanks! I had no idea that there were different grip sizes. It's too bad that the rubber portion is not in better shape, I do like how they fit my hand. Might buy se 101 panels just to get the cracked ones off.

tascofeldman

Bearcat
Update:!! Sent the GP back to Ruger and had the issue fixed. Not only did they replace the hammer they also replaced my old compact grips with a new set including panels and returned the old set as well! All for freee, no hassle. If there was ever any doubt why I've turned into a Ruger fan this seals the deal.