Fixed Sight Security Six snubnose

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Patches

Bearcat
For sale locally is a blued 2.75 inch early Security Six with fixed sights with the original early style grips. I didn't know Ruger made a "fixed sight" Security Six, but it does say "Security Six" on the right side of the frame. Does anyone have a guess as to when they were made, and when they switched to the current grip shape? The gun has a little wear, but they are asking $375 which seems a fair price, makes me tempted to get it. Is there any real scarcity or collectability to this early versionl? Any thoughts/opinions are welcome!

The fixed sight Security Sixes were early on models, it should have a serial number starting with 150-XXXXX. Starting with the 151-XXXXX serial numbers is when they went from the low back frame to the high back frame (although there are a few high back 150's and low back 151's from the transition period). With the serial number we can give you a pretty good idea when it was made. You don't have to give us the last 2 numbers if you don't want to. My guess is going to be 1972-1973 timeframe. A fixed sight Security Six rollmarked gun is more collectable because they didn't make that many before switching to the Police Service Six rollmark.

For $375 that's not too bad a price depending on the wear (and your locale - some places the Sixes are in demand and thusly go for more money). I'd walk in there with $325 out in my hand and see what they say.

Patches

Bearcat
I do remember it was 150 prefix serial, but don't remember the rest of the numbers. Overall I guess I would rate it at about 85-90%. Maybe I'll try to haggle the price down a little as it would be a neat little carry piece to have.

Terry T

Buckeye
We're assuming sq. butt and .357 mag?
.38 spl (only) would be more rare. A round butt would be a mis marked frame - rd butt should be marked 'Speed Six'.

Like the one on the lower left in this photo?

Terry T

Patches

Bearcat
Thanks Terry (and that is a nice set of toys you have)! Yes, it is a 357 square butt just like the one you have in the lower left corner. Thanks for sharing that pic of your neat assortment....now you have me drooling!