Sherrif's Model? Shopkeeper? Your definition?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The term "Shopkeeper" is really hot right now due to the new Bearcat Shopkeeper, but it's been bouncing around for a long time, as has the term "Sherrif's Model"...

Generally, I've seen these irrefutably get applied to short barrel models, but other attributes don't seem to be consistent: birdshead or plow handle, ejector or not, dropped hammers or not, etc

Naturally, terms like that were applied organically, and I'm sure no two "Shop Keep's" or Sherrif's in the Old West kept the same exact pistols, even if the short barrel was consistent.

So what do they mean to you?

What makes a "Shopkeeper" a shopkeeper?

What makes a "Sherrif's Model" a Sherrif's Model?

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Handgun mag Sherrif's Model and Storekeeper Article

Running the Google Machine this afternoon, I came across this article from 2010, apparently at least at that time, Colt's opinion was that BOTH were ejectorless plow handles, but the 3" was the Sherrif's Model, and a 4" is a Storekeeper.

I've always associated a small caliber ejector model plow handle as a shop/storekeeper, and an ejectorless short barrel plow handle as a Sherrif's model, but apparently Colt's opinion differs.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Colt never used those terms and I wonder what, according to the article, does he call one with a barrel longer than 4" with no ejector? Or those shorter than 4¾" with an ejector? Every bit of Colt literature I have refers to those with ejectors as shopkeepers and those without as sheriff's models.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
A NON Buntline special??
Most of those names were invented by TV writers I think. The old factories never called them by Storekeeper or Sheriff`s model AFIK.