Best neo- ivory

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
Trying to find the best ivory substitute for S/A revolver grips. It True Ivory still in business? Is that the best ivory substitute?

Any others camel bone etc. Is walrus ivory still available?

Since Presidente El Dulce is stopping law abidding Americans from owning elephant ivory no chance of real ivory is there?

At least at working man prices..

Any tips much appreciated.

Also like info on commercial grip fitters.

Gracias Amigos!

WARD

Single-Sixer
You appear to be considering bone stag and rightfully so in my opinion. Depending on who makes them, they can come very close to ivory in appearance. The nice thing about them is that they are a natural material which strikes a tone with me as opposed to the synthetic resins and such. Our own elk provide good material for historically correct grips for single actions.

ward

CraigC

Hawkeye
TruIvory is the closest to the real thing, followed by Eagle UltraIvory. I assume Bar S is still doing TruIvory but you'll have to contact them to find out for sure. Other materials such as antique paper micarta, American holly, camel bone or smooth stag are "white" or off white and have much the same appeal but no one will ever think they're actually ivory.

Obama used the power of the pen to appease the environmentalist loons who think legal ivory has anything to do with poaching. That said, the regulations are not yet in effect and there is pending legislation to protect the legal domestic ivory trade. It is still legal to buy pre-ban (1989) ivory. It has never been cheap but IMHO, the "working man" (whatever that means) can afford it if he wants it bad enough.

TruIvory:
IMG_2281b.jpg

UltraIvory:
Kimber%20Ultra%20-%20001.JPG

Antique paper micarta:
IMG_7120e.jpg

IMG_7748b.jpg

IMG_8044b.jpg

Smooth Sambar stag:
P1010025.JPG

American holly:
P1010066.JPG

The real deal:
IMG_2980b.jpg

IMG_2991b.jpg

IMG_2750b.jpg

IMG_2743b.jpg

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
Those are nice looking grips! Yes- I am hoping that they can stop the bans that Obama put in or is trying to put in place. Better to sell that ivory that they burned and put the funds towards anti- poaching efforts or pay down the national debt by a micro dot.

American Holly or Stag would be nicer than imitation ivory in my opinion. I have both and love the way American Holly ages. Sack Peterson, forum member. Does good work making Stag grips.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Here is a message from Nutmeg Sports that indicates that you can still order ivory grips from them. http://www.nutmegsports.com/

Best Regards,
ADP3

I've wondered this before. If Joe Blow is selling an old custom revolver at a gun show and it has beautiful real ivory grips, how's a person supposed to know if they are of legal vintage?

Gregg