another Redhawk down

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Apparently I've done something wrong to my 7.5" 357 Redhawk; I got two cylinders through it on my first stage at our latest USPSA match, and then I couldn't close the cylinder (without hammering :shock:).

Looks like the cylinder is too far forward, hitting the frame.
Fortunately I had my GP100 with me and could finish the match (albeit with the ammo I'd made intending to get fired through that 60oz Redhawk. Ear-chronos suggested I was making 'significant Major' :mrgreen:.

I was.

I e-mailed Ruger today.......

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I have not yet discovered its issue; assume that it's really clean under the star.
Crane appears fine.

I've contacted Ruger service and await their response.

Have you shot your 357 Redhawk a lot with lower power loads? If so, try scrubbing the forcing cone area with Hoppes (or your favorite). I have seen a lot of buildup in that area bind up the cylinder.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I am (all too) familiar with common revolver stoppages; this ain't that.

Ruger has offered to ship the gun in "for evaluation".

I like that.
If they cannot fix it I'll send it to Mr. Bob Cogan (if available).

WESHOOT2

Hunter
So I went and picked up my gun last night (only 120 miles from my house! -drove it down to them, too), and was told it was so dirty the ejection button was binding, keeping the cylinder from closing.

It was recommended that when I pull a gun from the safe after sitting nine years I should clean it before attempting to shoot a USPSA match with said gun.
Glad I got warned; the 44 Redhawk is coming out for November's match!

Yes I'll clean it first..... :shock:

A33102

GP100man

Buckeye
Glad that that`s all it was , I flush mine with brakleen & compressed air , takin the crane asm takes three hands & patience !!!

After flushin I`ve found remoil to be the best as it doesn't attract carbon & fouling as some others do .

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Dang... I was really hoping there was gonna be something irreparably wrong! Ruger says they're not fixing 357mag Redhawks anymore (maybe they'd do a sprung Crane, but they won't replace cylinders), and I need a 'donor gun" of a 357mag Redhawk!!!!

Well I guess I'm happy for ya that you got it all lined out! But if you decide you wanna part with that 357 RH, lemme know!!!