Security Six -- too nice?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tallguy606

Bearcat
I have been surfing the net looking for a nice stainless Security Six .357. Didn't really feel like FFL, shipping, etc. hassle. So today I dropped by a local pawnshop and what was in the case, a mint stainless 4-in Sec Six, no box or papers. They had it priced pretty high, but I negotiated a little, still paid too much, but wanted it badly and had the money ready. $475 out the door. Got it home, 1986 serial number, but looking it over closely, I am sure it is unfired. Front of cylinder, etc. is pristine. No carbon in any crannies at all. Bore and chambers shine like a new dime. So, question -- is there any reason I should NOT shoot this one? In unfired condition, should I keep it this way? I have a Blackhawk I can shoot my .38 reloads in.

tallguy606 said:
I have been surfing the net looking for a nice stainless Security Six .357. Didn't really feel like FFL, shipping, etc. hassle. So today I dropped by a local pawnshop and what was in the case, a mint stainless 4-in Sec Six, no box or papers. They had it priced pretty high, but I negotiated a little, still paid too much, but wanted it badly and had the money ready. $475 out the door. Got it home, 1986 serial number, but looking it over closely, I am sure it is unfired. Front of cylinder, etc. is pristine. No carbon in any crannies at all. Bore and chambers shine like a new dime. So, question -- is there any reason I should NOT shoot this one? In unfired condition, should I keep it this way? I have a Blackhawk I can shoot my .38 reloads in.

Welcome to the forum!

First, the price, although just a little high, is really not terribly high. If I was selling an unfired specimen of the same gun, my price would be pretty close to what you paid. A feller could find one for a bit less, and spend more than the savings on postage or gasoline traveling to get it.

Second, this is a very common model. I would not hesitate to shoot it.

WAYNO.

k22fan

Blackhawk
You think it hasn't been fired since the factory? An anal detail clean can remove all trace of fouling from a stainless gun. Most new revolvers leave the factory with a sharp edge on the rear end of their forcing cone left by the cutting reamer. It doesn't take very many magnums to dull that edge. Feel it then think again.

I'm a meanie. I should have started with "Welcome to the forum. Unfired old guns deserve a collectors' premium." The trouble is you and your kids and grand kids won't wear it out and you will all enjoy it more target shooting than preserving it. Plus you don't want to be haunted by Bill Ruger's ghost. He may not stay in the grave if you insult him by not even trying out his revolver.

Welcome to the forum. …

tallguy606

Bearcat
Just checked. Forcing cone edge is pretty sharp. I'm no expert but still believe is probably unfired. I've bought a lot of used guns from pawnshops over the years. My impression is -- the kind of folks who sell items to pawnshops are not the type of people to meticulously clean a gun. I almost never have seen a clean bore on a used handgun or long gun from a pawnshop, people just used them, then back they go in the closet or wherever. They treat a gun as a tool, like you say, Bill Ruger would approve. Guess I'll just shoot it then. Thanks to all.

Terry T

Buckeye
I'd say not more than $25 high and I don't quibble over plus or minus $50! :shock:

That said, if you take care of it and don't just throw it in the bottom of the tackle box, you can shoot it a lot and clean it and find that you can hardly tell. As the most common model, it will be a long time before there is much in the way of collector premium on it. I'd say enjoy it by shooting it, carrying it, using it to ....what ever, except the tackle box or 'boat anchor' thing. :shock:
Terry T

I'd say you have a great shooter there. That price wasn't out of the realm of reality (check gunbroker some time :shock: ).

Now if it had come with the original box, shipping container, all the correct papers AND you were a collector, that would get a whole different answer from me.

Shoot it, have fun, pass it on, it will last for a long time as long as it isn't abused.

tallguy606

Bearcat
OK, took my new Security Six out this morning and ran 50 .38 Special reloads thru it. Shot tight groups from thirty feet, single action, but about 4 inches left. I didn't have a tiny screwdriver with me to adjust windage on the rear sight. I'm no pistol shooter but looks like it's a keeper. I need to find a holster so I can carry .357 loads when squirrel hunting here in Louisiana. Last year a guy got gored by a wild hog down here and I see rooting signs all over the woods I hunt. Need something more potent than my .22 rifle just in case.

Terry T

Buckeye
Any holster for a S&W 'K' frame revolver will fit.
For hogs, I'd think you'd want heavy solids (158gr. - 180gr.) for .357 mag loads. Buffalo Bore has some heavy loads. You'll need to practice with a few as the recoil will be a bit stout and the point of aim could be different than the .38s.
Terry T

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
1- Like others, I say you didn't pay way too much. That price seems about right.

2- Again echoing others' opinions, I say you should shoot it to your heart's content. If kept in unfired condition, its value might gradually increase--eventually. If you shoot it, even a lot, its value will not be reduced much at all, assuming you take good care of it (keep it clean, don't abuse it, etc.)

In the Security/Service/Speed Six line, the highly collectible specimens are those with an uncommon chambering, or the ones made especially for various police or government agencies. A stainless 4" Security Six in .357 is not rare enough to be specifically sought after by collectors, but it's a great gun to keep and use for a lifetime.

I would not regret paying what you did for it, nor would I keep it a safe queen. Go out and enjoy that excellent revolver!

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
Minimize the use of hot 125 gr. JHPs and it will still be shooting 100 years from now. They're a lot handier than its designated successor, the GP-100.