LCR (.357 Magnum) Grips Screwdriver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

socrates007

Bearcat
I was wondering if anybody can tell me what kind of screwdriver is needed to change the grips on a Ruger LCR revolver (.357 magnum)?

I have never seen any screw slot like that before, and nothing came with my brand new LCR (.357 Magnum). Is there suppose to be a screwdriver that comes with the LCR revolver for the grips?

Any information from any other LCR revolver owners is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

hittman

Staff member
I use whatever screwdriver handy that fits. There's really a very small amount of torque needed to loosen or tighten .....

socrates007

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:
Mine has regular flathead screws in the grip.

I wish mine had regular flathead screws in the grip. Mine is something I have never seen before. Can you tell me how to post a picture on here and maybe that will help.

socrates007

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:
I use photobucket and post IRL address in image brackets tool on the full editor.

Thank you very much for your help. Okay, I will try to post this picture now. I hope I do it correctly.

Gripsscrew_zpsabfc1aa9.jpg

Jim Puke

Hunter
Flathead should work on that screw...just have to find the right size to bridge the gap (hole).

That actually appears to be a "key" slot rather than a screw head.

socrates007

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:
Does this gun have the lock?

Could the key for the lock, also remove the screw on the grip?

That is exactly what I was wondering. I believe all LCR revolvers have the locks inside the grips. But, I didn't receive any key inside my box with the gun. I purchased it brand new.

Can anybody tell me if your new LCR revolvers came with a key for the lock that is underneath your grips?

Jim Puke

Hunter
Now that you mention it, mine did not come with a key...and I bought it new.

Might check with Ruger.

If you bought it locally, go back to the dealer and ask him about it.

If you just want to get the grip off, a screw driver will work for that.

socrates007

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:

Might check with Ruger.

Yeah, I will definitely check with Ruger. I didn't want to attempt to mess with the grips screw since it looks like a combination between star and flathead. I have no such screwdriver for anything like that, and I didn't want to strip the screw or mess it up.

Is this something new regarding LCR grip screws? Did the previous LCR grip screws come with a normal flathead screw?

Jim Puke

Hunter
socrates007 said:
Jim Luke said:

Might check with Ruger.

Yeah, I will definitely check with Ruger. I didn't want to attempt to mess with the grips screw since it looks like a combination between star and flathead. I have no such screwdriver for anything like that, and I didn't want to strip the screw or mess it up.

Is this something new regarding LCR grip screws? Did the previous LCR grip screws come with a normal flathead screw?

A screwdriver will remove that screw without causing damage.

My gun is 2 yrs old and has the flathead screw.

socrates007

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:

Thanks for confirming that your LCR came with a flathead screw. Well, you say that a screwdriver can remove my screw without causing damage. What type do you think I should use?

I really appreciate all of your help :D

socrates007 said:
Jim Luke said:

Thanks for confirming that your LCR came with a flathead screw. Well, you say that a screwdriver can remove my screw without causing damage. What type do you think I should use?

Again, looks like a combination. Either or.

A torx driver, or a flathead screwdriver that's wide enough to bridge the star and catch the groove on both sides.

And for the record, I just bought a new LCR that also did not come with the key for the loathsome internal lock.

WAYNO.

socrates007

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
socrates007 said:
Jim Luke said:

A star driver or (star key if you prefer that name), or a flathead screwdriver that's wide enough to bridge the star and catch the groove on both sides.

And for the record, I just bought a new LCR that also did not come with the security key.

WAYNO.

Hi WAYNO,

Does your new LCR have a grips screw like mine (combination of star and flathead), or is it just a regular flathead screw?

Are the LCR revolvers supposed to come with a security key for removing the grips and that also is used to operate the safety lock that is located underneath the grips?

socrates007 said:
WAYNO said:
socrates007 said:

A torx, or a flathead screwdriver that's wide enough to bridge the star and catch the groove on both sides.

And for the record, I just bought a new LCR that also did not come with the security key.

WAYNO.

Hi WAYNO,

Does your new LCR have a grips screw like mine (combination of star and flathead), or is it just a regular flathead screw?

Are the LCR revolvers supposed to come with a security key for removing the grips and that also is used to operate the safety lock that is located underneath the grips?

No, your screw is different than the previous models, but that is not an uncommon screw head type for modern high-tech equipment. Mine is the old fashioned flathead screw.

The LCR's come with a key for the internal lock, but since mine did not come with a key I do not know if it fits the new screw or not.

WAYNO.

I hope this photo helps you visualize a little, what we're talking about.

The torx driver would work in the center of the screw.

The flathead screwdriver, if properly sized, would bridge the star socket and grab just the slots at the outside of the screw head.

And unless the new LCR's have a different lock and key, I cannot imagine this little key would grab anything in that screw. I just pulled this key from the box of a previous LCR.

Jim Luke said:

Might check with Ruger.

If you bought it locally, go back to the dealer and ask him about it.

If you just want to get the grip off, a screw driver will work for that.

I just discovered something. :mrgreen:

Like yours, my LCRx did not come with a key. Just looked inside the gripframe and discovered there is no lock! A little research, and I've discovered they don't use the internal lock any longer. No wonder we didn't get a key. :oops:

WAYNO.

socrates007

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
I just discovered something. :mrgreen:

Like yours, my LCRx did not come with a key. Just looked inside the gripframe and discovered there is no lock! A little research, and I've discovered they don't use the internal lock any longer. No wonder we didn't get a key. :oops:

WAYNO.

Thank you for checking that out WAYNO. I will have to find a proper size screwdriver and see if whether my new LCR has an internal lock under my grips or not. That is great news that at least your new LCRx does NOT have an internal lock on it. :D