Grip help XRN-3 XR3 Please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
So I buy a set of factory grips off ebay with the molded ruger eagle that says for "XRN-3 frame new blackhawk, Vaquero, single six". Now its in transit and I've discovered it doesn't have the tapered notch at top of grips. Seller says they are XR3 size. What did they come off of because my XRN-3 frame has a notch.

Anyone here skilled enough to notch it for me if they are correct size?

Any help, Thanks!

k22fan

Blackhawk
I suspect another case of confusion between the modern small XR3 gripframe and the more numerous medium size XR3-RED grip frame. If I'm correct your new grips don't just lack notches, they are too small. "RED" in the gripframe name is short for "redesigned" in the early 1960s to extend trigger reach and flare the bottom. The XR3 gripframe was dropped for about 30 years then reintroduced along with flat top cylinder frames.

Member Cary C's measure is useful here. XR3-RED grips are 3" X 3". They nicely fit in a 3" square. Dragoon and Hunter grips are larger than the 3" square and XR3 grips are smaller.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
No confusion on my part except I didn't think I'd have to look for a notch per description.

My frame is shown and I can read XRN-3 and I have a notch. I know there is a short frame on the 32 H&R, but is there a 3rd version XRN-3 without a notch? Which Rugers using this newer style grip, doesn't use a notch?

These grips came off a new stainless something without a notch. I was really hoping to have some grips that matched my Lipsey's 44 special before I die.

caryc

Hawkeye
There are a couple issues here. The black grip pictured are for the New Vaquero and the new flattops. They are for the new steel XR3 grip frame.

Your grip frame looks like the XR3-RED grip profile. It's hard to tell from the picture since you cut off the bottom of the back strap Is your grip frame 1/2" in width? Or is your .44 specials grip frame 7/16" in width? It should be 1/2" in width.

The black grips pictured will fit the new steel XR3 grip frame and will not fit your Blackhawk with the XR3-Red grip profile.

As far as that notch goes, anyone can do it with a file. Would you believe that with all the grips I've sold, I still make that notch by hand with a file?

The following drawing will help determine what grip frame your guns have.

F-gripsquare3.jpg

I think you'll also find the grip locating pin hole is slightly in a higher of lower position as well,,,most of them we have "notched" out to work on the older model guns, we had to elongate this pin hole. Not a problem and easy enough to do, just take your time, neatness counts....... :wink:

caryc

Hawkeye
As far as I know, the black grips with the molded emblem were only made for the new steel XR3 grip frame.

They did make black plastic grips for the XR3-RED grip profile but the had regular Ruger medallions in them. If I remember right, when they put the locks in the aluminum XR3-RED profile Blackhawk grip frame, they also got rid of the ears on the grip frame that required the notches for the grips.

Then they did away with the locks and I think they are still using the aluminum grip frame without the ears on the Blackhawks.

So if I have your situation correct, you can get a set of black grips for your Blackhawk. You just may have to file the notches to fit your frame.

caryc

Hawkeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
Whew!

I guess I won't know until they get here. This frame is an Old Vaquero 44 mag.

Thanks, I'll keep you experts informed.

Didn't know you were talking about a Vaquero. Yes your Vaquero has an XR3-RED profile grip frame on it.

The grips you purchased will not fit your Vaquero. Sorry.

caryc

Hawkeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
Can you stretch them for me?

I still have to wait, then get a refund somehow. His listing says XRN-3, thats what I got.

Have you talked to him? Did you ask him why he listed them as XRN-3? Maybe he posted the wrong picture with the add.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Yes, I've been tactfully communicating with him. Sounds like it was his best guess. I'd much rather take a file to it and get them to fit, but I don't hold much hope of anything but a refund.

caryc

Hawkeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
Yes, I've been tactfully communicating with him. Sounds like it was his best guess. I'd much rather take a file to it and get them to fit, but I don't hold much hope of anything but a refund.

You're not going to get them to fit. Take a look at my XR3 drawing above. See that eighth inch gap at the front of the grip? That's how they will fit your gun.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Cary, I believe you but I have to wait. Even the XR3-Red grip fits into the pinhole and at the top of the frame but is still too small. The only grips that fit my frame close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades, is the wood ones that came on it.

This is a pic with the XR3-Red, doesn't come flush with the backstrap but works. The factory wood one is a good fit on my XRN-3 but you can see how it extends over the 3" mark and its just over up top. The last pic is the same grip pictured on the gun but now inside the 3" square. The XRN-3 just ain't the same as the XR3-Red.

Because of lighting and funny camera angles things don't look exactly as pictured. The black XR3-Red grips on the gun in the picture have 1/16 space all the way around the front, perfect fit on bottom and upper front corner, the backstrap is 1/8" shy.

The XRN-3 and XR3-Red, ain't the same size, the N3 is larger.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
So I buy a set of factory grips off ebay with the molded ruger eagle that says for "XRN-3 frame new blackhawk, Vaquero, single six". Now its in transit and I've discovered it doesn't have the tapered notch at top of grips. Seller says they are XR3 size. What did they come off of because my XRN-3 frame has a notch.

Anyone here skilled enough to notch it for me if they are correct size?

Any help, Thanks!

These grips only come on the "New" Vaqueros which have an XR3 size smaller grip frame and smaller main frame. They will fit the new FLAT TOP mid and large frame grip frames but were not supplied on those models. The black grips w/medallions came on those guns. And the black grips w/medallions are also made in the XR3-RED size but only came on standard full size Blackhawks and single sixes.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
No, they don't fit my XRN-3 but they fit the Lipsey's 44 Sheriff like a glove. I'll keep them as a spare and I'm back at square one for Vaquero grips.

caryc

Hawkeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
No, they don't fit my XRN-3 but they fit the Lipsey's 44 Sheriff like a glove. I'll keep them as a spare and I'm back at square one for Vaquero grips.

All you can do is order grips made for the "Vaquero" or "Blackhawk" that does not include the flattop Blackhawk. You want grips made for the XR3-RED profile.

You'll probably continue to get poor fitting grips unless you send your grip frame to a grip maker for fitting. Getting "off the shelf" grips that fit the way you want them is a crap shoot.

Good luck.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Its obvious my frame is out of specs in the 3" square picture. XR3-Red standard cut grips ain't gonna cut it either. I guess that leaves one choice.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I think this is a great opportunity for Luckenbach to look at Cary's website and order a nice set of grips that will fit his gun.