Super Single Six ’71 vintage. Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I was looking for a 1961 Single Six in .22 WMR so put my feelers out and what came back was a Super Single Six, 3 screw Convertible. 1971 vintage. Both cylinders with a nice heavy red felt cylinder bag.

After getting it home and starting to clean the grim off from years of old oil and sitting. I couldn't see any numbers on the cylinders like the NM have.

Both the cylinders are fluted, but the LR cylinder has the firing pin groove, the Magnum cylinder does not.

Should both the Magnum and the LR cylinders have the firing pin groove in them?

I'll add a few pictures tonight.

wizofwas

Buckeye
The Magnum cylinder will not have the firing pin groove, they don't need them due to the wider chambering. And I'm not sure about the SN numbers on the cylinders for the Super Single Six's. But I'm guessing that they aren't put on the cylinders for the Super Single Six's. But that's just a guess. I'll let others that know more correct me if I'm wrong.

street

Hunter
Both cylinders are supposed to have the last 3 numbers of the serial number scratched on the front end of both cylinders for a 1971 Super Single Six, as well as a 1971 regular Single-Six convertible. As your gun needed a lot of cleaning I would get it in some good light and re-clean and re-check it. It's always possible that it was just missed at the factory!!! But I don't see them missing both cylinders.

we have found many back then, that the "spare" (mag?) cylinder only, had the numbers in them, and look at the opposite end, many were marked on the chamber(back) end instead of out front,,,,,as well as look carefully, as the gun may have been shot, and the markings may be very "slight" ( light) and hard to see...wipe off BOTH ends carefully and look with a light............you're looking for only 3 ( the last 3) digits of the guns serial number......
main thing is it is better to have NO numbers at all, than the 'wrong' ones :roll: .........and just make sure the cylinders BOTH work, index and lock up on ALL 6 chambers. :wink:

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
Sorry its taken me so long to get back on.
Took the Single Six out last weekend 9/13. Shoots great with both cylinders point of aim at 25 to 30 feet. Benched was able to shoot a about a 1.5" group, with either cylinder.

The convertible I bought in the mid 80's was 4" high with the Magnums at that distance, sold it years ago.

Both cylinders are vibrio peened on the far end with the same numbers, far as I can tell, Literally had to get the Loupe out to even see them. They are very faint and appear to match the last 2 numbers of the SN. Must have been the first day whomever did it used a vibrio pen. :roll:

Last picture is the boys, the 4-5/8" has a steel grip frame and has yet to have been fired. Other than the factory test firing.

410061306.jpg

410061307.jpg

410061394.jpg

Latest posts