What say you about a Speed six in 38 Special? DECISION MADE!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ginzo

Single-Sixer
After much thought and reviewing everyone's input, (thank you all)

I have opted for the speed six in Stainless steel,2 3/4" barrel in the .38SP. S/N 159-xxxxx It is a beauty and I got it for $300.00. No box, no paper work, but one owner low mileage.

Here are some pics:

ginzo said:
I may have an opportunity to pick up a 38Sp S.S. 2 3/4" barrel $350 or less, great shape OR a choice between 2 speed sixes, both .357 S.S. 2 3/4" barrels price unknown at this time, but promised a good deal from my regular gun guy.

The 2 .357's were sold to him, (pawn shop) has a 30 day hold, about 10/3/2014 I will have 1st pick! I don't have the serial #'s as of yet, do I have to deal with the above 151xxx issue on any of these?

What to do? My only Ruger at this point is that blued project gun I did, which I love, but have yet to find a proper holster for it to carry. Now I see the Ruger bug is a s bad as the S&W bug!!

Please chime in and help me narrow it down. I'll deal with MaMa later........ :roll:

eveled

Hawkeye
Nice gun, those look like original grips, very cool. Shoot and enjoy it, Ed.

Terry T

Buckeye
RoninPA,

Would this be the GA-36 low back you're referring to? :D

Along with it's mates, a GA-32 and a GA-34, also low backs!

Actually I've heard of one more so there really are at least two GA-36 low backs. :shock:

By the way, a very good snag for $300 for a nice clean GS-82 and .... the scalloped frame has a thicker top strap and therefore a deeper (easier to see) sight channel.
Terry T

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Thank you both, I think I made a good choice. It will be going to the range in the next week or so. I have a friends 686 I'm taking also, to sight in for him. This wasn't so much of a plan as luck. All 3 choices fell into my lap at once. Who knows how many Rugers I bypassed because I wasn't smart enough to look fo them? :oops:
Snake45 said:
That's a beauty! Now go shoot it! :wink:
Flatbush said:
Well done sir! Isn't it great when a plan comes together!

Thanks, Ed.
Now that you mentioned grips, I've read a lot about Murphy's oil. Do any of you recommend it or anything else as a maintenance for them?
Chuck
eveled said:
Nice gun, those look like original grips, very cool. Shoot and enjoy it, Ed.

k22fan

Blackhawk
ginzo said:
[...] Now that you mentioned grips, I've read a lot about Murphy's oil. Do any of you recommend it or anything else as a maintenance for them?
[...]

IMO your newly acquired Speed Six is in collectable condition. You can drop it out of that class during one TV show with a rag and metal polish. Although they are replaceable, the same goes for the grips. Oils darken wood. Your grips haven't needed refinishing for a couple decades. Why now? The holy grail of collectors is originality.

Rant over.

I like your new Speed Six. I store my .357 Security Sixes' original grips and shoot them with larger after market replacements. Since I don't conceal my six inchers size isn't and issue like it might be with your .38. Even so, if I'd been the lucky one and found your .38 I'd keep my eyes open for a used pair of Herrett Shooting Stars. They fill in the space occupied by a grip adapter, lengthen the butt a little and have fuller coverage checkering. They don't cover the back strap. Grips that do increase trigger reach reducing the leverage to work the trigger DA.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Thank you for saving me from myself. Sometimes it is hard to resist taking something that is perfectly functional and trying to make it "a little bit better".

Thank you also for the "collectable" rating. I am going to shoot it, but not sure if I will carry it yet. I have a security six that I want to put in the line up 1st. That's the down fall of these forums. Great info, but easy to get tied up into the next best upgrade and such. I was also almost pulled into the "shine it up" black hole as the more I look at it, the more it says to me, just some Mother's or some flitz and I'll really look nice!!! :twisted:

I'll take your advice and leave well enough alone, and also look for the Herrett's. BTW, good advice getting a set of grips for wear and tear purposes. The GREAT side of these forums is another perspective. Thanks again!

Chuck

k22fan said:
ginzo said:
[...] Now that you mentioned grips, I've read a lot about Murphy's oil. Do any of you recommend it or anything else as a maintenance for them?
[...]

IMO your newly acquired Speed Six is in collectable condition. You can drop it out of that class during one TV show with a rag and metal polish. Although they are replaceable, the same goes for the grips. Oils darken wood. Your grips haven't needed refinishing for a couple decades. Why now? The holy grail of collectors is originality.

Rant over.

I like your new Speed Six. I store my .357 Security Sixes' original grips and shoot them with larger after market replacements. Since I don't conceal my six inchers size isn't and issue like it might be with your .38. Even so, if I'd been the lucky one and found your .38 I'd keep my eyes open for a used pair of Herrett Shooting Stars. They fill in the space occupied by a grip adapter, lengthen the butt a little and have fuller coverage checkering. They don't cover the back strap. Grips that do increase trigger reach reducing the leverage to work the trigger DA.

Please do me a favor, and you just might be doing yourself a favor too. Try the factory round grips just as they are. I have found that these factory grips are extremely shootable. If you prove me wrong, nothing is lost. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Maybe I should have written that grips are personal and you may well not like my favorites, but you're all old enough to know that.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Thanks gents, I take all suggestions under advisement. Otherwise how are we going to learn? That's why I'm here, to pick brains, and maybe someday help some one new. :D

k22fan said:
Maybe I should have written that grips are personal and you may well not like my favorites, but you're all old enough to know that.

WAYNO said:
Please do me a favor, and you just might be doing yourself a favor too. Try the factory round grips just as they are. I have found that these factory grips are extremely shootable. If you prove me wrong, nothing is lost. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
That was a very lucky find. This is my 1st foray into crossing that line of maybe having a collectable gun as compared to carry guns. I love to shoot them all. I carry them all, this one may just see range time, I just am to new to this, especially Rugers. I thought I would never own anything but a S&W. :oops:

Timbo22 said:
Wow! Good deal and nice gun. I hope to find one like it for myself. .38's are just fine in a Six series gun.
Tim