Ruger Blackhawk 45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IlikeIke

Bearcat
I don't own any revolvers, but am considering getting one. After seeing how expensive the Smiths are, I am looking at the Ruger New Model Blackhawk 45 with the long Colt and ACP options. My question for anyone that owns one, which ammo shoots the best in the revolver, the long Colt or ACP?

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
I own 3 of the 45 Colt/ ACP Blackhawks. These are actually my favorite revolvers. I think to get the most out of them you have to reload. For the 45Colt you can load from range loads up to loads surpassing the 44 magnum. The ACP cylinder allows you to shoot the rounds your 1911 won't chamber and you don't have to chase the brass. If I was forced to own only one revolver it would be the Blackhawk convertible.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
To answer your question, reviews are mixed. You'll have to determine for yourself if you get one. It seems to depend a whole lot on the ammunition used to compare accuracy. The other issue is, how close to the same point of impact the two cartridges shoot. Again depends on the loads used.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
This question will garner a lot of responses.
First, if you do NOTHING to the gun, you can find different ammo & find that some guns do better with one or the other. If you reload, then you can find loads that do well in both. Reloading can muddy the waters in helping your decision. Next, some of the 45 convertibles out of the box seem to shoot 45 acp ammo better, until the owner discovers that his Colt cylinder has undersized throats. ESPECIALLY if you shoot cast lead bullets. Reaming the throats will correct this issue.

Confused yet?

I currently own several 45 cal convertibles by Ruger. To me,,, all of them do what I ask of them. Many have had the Colt cylinder reamed, as I shoot lead bullets a lot.
So the final decision is up to you,,, but many have found that the 45 convertibles are one of the last guns they'd part with!

s4s4u

Hunter
Colt or ACP

You're gonna have to find out for yourself. Every gun is different and even different ammo of the same chambering may shoot better or worse in a particular gun.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
BOTH actually, in all of my convertibles, with the RIGHT ammunition. THAT you have to find out for yourself with your pistol as NO two guns in the history of the world have EVER been the same.

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have a convertible that I am not happy with as the 45acp cylinder seems to be out of spec...it will lockup with every brand of brass that I have tried with it. But, I did not buy it to shoot acp in anyway...have the 1911's for that.

Rclark

Hunter
BOTH actually, in all of my convertibles, with the RIGHT ammunition. THAT you have to find out for yourself with your pistol as NO two guns in the history of the world have EVER been the same.
+1. My experience too. Although I have found some loads that work well in all of mine. But which shoots better ... .45 Colt or .45 ACP .... that is a revolver issue. Not a 'general' one shoots better than the other.

Vortex

Bearcat
My convertible shoots fine with both cylinders. I had some issues with one brand of cheap 45acp ammo but everything else I have shot through it has been fine.

sousana

Single-Sixer
As RT stated, I too own three, all blued;

4.58"
5.50"
7.50"

A trip to a ruger smith made all chambers to speck, and the same. Accuracy with factory LC is phenominal. With the 45acp, I shoot TZZ (israeli) match grade, or RWS match grade ammo and I've been getting 1.075" groups from 25ft at an outdoor range, winds under 3mph and temps ranging 82-86F. I'll note, that I use nothing but quality brass cased 45acp, no skimping.

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...

I probably won't be much help here...

I own a BlackHawk convertible in .45Colt/ACP. It shoots great in .45Colt...never used the ACP cylinder.

Own another in.357Mag/9mm. The .357Mag cylinder shoots great, as well. Once again, never took the 9mm cylinder out of the bag.

loaded round

Hunter
My two cents if you please. Several years ago I bought an OM Vaquero in 45 Colt with a 5.5 bbl. After breaking it in and installing a lighter hammer spring it was a sweet shooter. About a year and a half ago I was able to buy an almost new Blackhawk cylinder in 45 ACP. With a little bit of fitting I installed it in my Vaquero and found the timing to be perfect. With GI 230 gr hard ball, this ''45 ACP conversion'' shoots 1 1/2 groups at 7 yds. I also have a 44-40 Vaquero that last year I fitted a Blackhawk or Vaquero 44 mag cylinder (same bore diameter per Ruger and barrel slugging) to shoot 44 Spl ammo in my 44-40. This conversion also worked perfectly but haven't tried shooting for groups yet.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
There were more 45 acp loads that shot well in mine then there were 45 Colt loads. Of course if I'd bought two, the other might have shot 45 Colt better.

loaded round

Hunter
YMMV most of the time.

"diyj98"]There were more 45 acp loads that shot well in mine then there were 45 Colt loads. Of course if I'd bought two, the other might have shot 45 Colt better.[/quote]

wizofwas

Buckeye
What Contender said. I've found that both the Colt and ACP cylinders on both my NM and OM 45's had to be reamed out. After that I've found no difference in their shooting. And of course, the usual disclaimer, YMMV. Each revolver will have an ammo that it will like better than others.

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
Boy I can't say one shoots better than the other. Depends on how well I'm shooting that day. No Lie, love em both. Randy

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I also own several Ruger .45 convertibles. They all shoot very well and print to the same point when loading the same bullet and similar velocity loads in either .45 Colt or ACP cases. You will just have to test drive your shooter to find the loads it likes. Have fun!!