Franken-Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I've done a lot of shooting off of benches, bags, and bipods with revolvers and in general, the shift in POI has stayed less than enough to cause me concern. Then again, I typically try to support the revolver on the front edge of the cylinder frame rather than the barrel.

I definitely would have gone with a different free-float profile, but I suppose flat bottomed makes as much sense as anything.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
Seems like a lot of trouble for a .357.
I guess if we all liked the same stuff, things would get boring.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
one of my customers told me this had been posted over here.

POI shift is real. but no you prob wont notice it at closer ranges.

resting the gun on the frame is the old way to gain support....not really enough space to rest well on sticks and it puts the venting gasses close to your shooting sticks which are offten made of plastic or rubber at the yoke...not good.

and trust me its no my shooting skill that changes my POI....if you have seen the distances I have taken pdogs and groundhogs with a wheel gun it would put that one to bed.

This gun is a prototype. Bottom of the shroud is a 3/4" radius that sits nice in shooting sticks, allows you to level it on a shooting rail, on a pack or whatever.

THis is not made to be a packing pistol....its just as practical if not more so than a contender or other SP for hunting and field shooting.

These can be made in any shroud length....the shroud just needs to be longer than the ejector rod. Barrel has to be the same length as the shroud.

The shroud can be finished in a number of shapes to include hex/octagon...which gives you a half round half hex or octagon look

The Franken Ruger weighs in at 3pounds with a 10" barrel. A factory GP100 is 2.8 with a 6"

THis gun is not built to please a classic wheel gun person. This is made to give every advantage possible in field shooting conditions. It does not replace marksmenship. This system can be installed on any revolver.

The Gen2 version allows the end user to adjust barrel cyl gap or change barrel lengths.

This gun is going on a videoed hunt here at the end of the month with a well known handgun hunter. Videos and reviews will be posted again after the hunt.

This gen1 gun is capable of 1" groups at 100 yards....show me your wheel gun that will do that.....

Keep in mind what this gun is designed to do....Give you every advantage possible in field shooting to help you make that proper shot on game. Calibers can go up or down to suit what you are trying to achieve...

THis gun is always available at my shop for people to handle or try out.....dont knock or bash something until you have some hands on....

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Jim Luke said:
Bucks Owin said:
BTW, I have no problems with changing POI while shooting BR/offhand. Guess it's just technique...

Same here.

Shooting off a bench and using bags as support is not something that you can compare to field shooting.

Field shooting can put you in a position to use various types of support as a shooting rest. Different types of materials under a barrel do cause the muzzle to jump off an object in recoil. The shroud eliminates this.

And defiantly not tequnique. There are some on this forum I recognize that have seen me shoot standard wheel guns at distance. And there are a whole slew of critters that have seen what I can do. You can read about that on my website under handgun hunting. Www.baysidecustomgunworks.com

This is not designed to be a bench gun. And should not be compared in any way too one.

Bcgunworks wrote: "THis gun is always available at my shop for people to handle or try out.....dont knock or bash something until you have some hands on...."

Sorry you feel people are bashing your efforts. If I want something that cumbersome I will take a rifle. It just isn't my cup of tea. There are some here that do. Good luck.
gramps

Jim Puke

Hunter
bcgunworks said:
Jim Luke said:
Bucks Owin said:
BTW, I have no problems with changing POI while shooting BR/offhand. Guess it's just technique...

Same here.

Shooting off a bench and using bags as support is not something that you can compare to field shooting.

Field shooting can put you in a position to use various types of support as a shooting rest. Different types of materials under a barrel do cause the muzzle to jump off an object in recoil. The shroud eliminates this.

And defiantly not tequnique. There are some on this forum I recognize that have seen me shoot standard wheel guns at distance. And there are a whole slew of critters that have seen what I can do. You can read about that on my website under handgun hunting. http://Www.baysidecustomgunworks.com

This is not designed to be a bench gun. And should not be compared in any way too one.

Whether you agree or not, I know for a fact that my field shooting position and bench shooting position yields same POI...I shoot off a bench with my hands under the gun...same as I do field shooting. Your results may vary...mine do not.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Whether you agree or not, I know for a fact that my field shooting position and bench shooting position yields same POI...I shoot off a bench with my hands under the gun...same as I do field shooting. Your results may vary...mine do not.[/quote]

You are correct. Resting the butt of the gun and only the butt on a soft surface does not change poi. But you also do not have as much support as possible.

If your shooting 1moa at 100.....then I guess you have the system beat.

And no. I really don't care if some people don't like the prototype. I don't want miss information or half truths spread about the system.