NM Flattop Lock Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've acquired a New Model Flattop .45 Convertible, stainless, and I was surprised to discover an internal lock.

This will be the only stainless Blackhawk of any grip size I've seen with an internal lock. In spite of much searching, I cannot discover relative information.

Any insight?

WAYNO.

trapperon said:
Wayno

520 prefix is lock and 521 prefix is no lock. This holds true for both blued and stainless in the flattop mid frames.

Ron

That's information that must've passed me by.

Guess it must've been luck of the draw that I've never been the recipient of the dreaded lock on any of my stainless revolvers. :mrgreen: And good thing I'll never use the lock. It didn't come with a key. :roll:

Thanks for the info.

WAYNO.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Wayno

I think the confusion is that it is an xr3 frame and not xr3-red. When the new vaquero was introduced both blued and stainless had an internal lock and xr3 frame. The transition went into the blued blackhawks and single sixes (not stainless or super's) but the stainless blackhawks and single sixes (which were xr3-red) were never updated with a lock. since the new flattops had the xr3 grip frame that is the only way they were tooled up at the time. Now locks have been removed from the entire single action line, thankfully!

Kind of confusing but that's the story!

Ron

I'm easily confused!

I've owned plenty of New-Vaquero's and NM Flattops, and again, I didn't remember a single lock on any of the stainless models. Either luck of the draw, or my rememberer doesn't always work correctly.

Thanks again.

WAYNO.

caryc

Hawkeye
The only Ruger grip frames that had the locks were the stainless and blued new steel XR3 grip frames and the blued aluminum XR3-RED profile grip frames.

George

Blackhawk
Wayno Hey we meet again. LOL! Found your old post trying to hunt down prefix numbers of my flat top convertible. I had written a post on my gun didn't come with a Fired case. In any case Came across your old post Found it interesting With the prefix number on my gun being 521-.Dealer selling this gun as new. He puts a date on all his stock on the pistol case sticker when he gets it in. The date on this box is 02-07-2017.I wonder if some Light can be spread on this now knowing the prefix number as for or a new gun like I said mine has been shot a lot with the colt cylinder, a lot more then any other gun I received new! Gun is a Lipsey's Ruger new model flattop convertible ..45colt/.45acp in stainless with 4 5/8's barrel.For some of the others not following the old thread. Can't help but Wonder If this is New Old Stock like you said but do wonder where it lies In production as far as year Maybe month. Interesting, this gives me something to do when I can't get out and shoot. In addition to the information I'm looking for let me stay true to this post and add. My flattop has no lock hope this helps! Thanks George

Hondo44 said:
WAYNO,

Did you acquire the gun new?

Is it a 520 prefix gun?

In 2012 Internal locks were phased out in on those models that had them.

Yep it is a 520 prefix, and I did buy it new. Obviously old stock when I bought it, as I knew the locks were phased out, so I was just surprised to discover the lock. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
trapperon said:
Wayno

520 prefix is lock and 521 prefix is no lock. This holds true for both blued and stainless in the flattop mid frames.

Ron

Does that include the Bisley Flattops? My .44 SPL Bisley also has a 520 prefix, and it didn't come with a key. I've never had occasion to take the grips off it to look.

(My Anniversary .357 and original Lipsey's .44 SPL Flattop both have the lock, but as Ruger's SA lock is out of sight behind the grip panel it's also been out of mind. Unlike that annoying hole S&W insists in putting in the sideframes of their revolvers; that's the only thing I don't like about my Airweight.)

caryc

Hawkeye
ProfessorWes said:
trapperon said:
Wayno

Ron

Does that include the Bisley Flattops? My .44 SPL Bisley also has a 520 prefix, and it didn't come with a key. I've never had occasion to take the grips off it to look.

(My Anniversary .357 and original Lipsey's .44 SPL Flattop both have the lock, but as Ruger's SA lock is out of sight behind the grip panel it's also been out of mind. Unlike that annoying hole S&W insists in putting in the sideframes of their revolvers; that's the only thing I don't like about my Airweight.)

I guess you missed this post about 7 posts above this one.

The only Ruger grip frames that had the locks were the stainless and blued new steel XR3 grip frames and the blued aluminum XR3-RED profile grip frames.