A New to Me 45 Colt followed me home

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrbumps

Blackhawk
After a morning of shooting with a friend, I decided to stop at a local gun shop on the way home. They had just taken in a bunch of used Blackhawks, all from the same individual. I noticed a short barreled stainless in 45 Colt, and knew they didn't make them in stainless anymore, so I asked to see it. They were asking $499 for it, which I thought was a little high, but then I noticed it had a Bowen Base Pin in it, then I noticed it also had a Bowen Rough Country rear sight installed. I opened the loading gate and spun the cylinder, no click, free spin pawl. Closed the gate and pulled the hammer back to "half-cock" and then noticed the Power Custom Hammer and Trigger, with indexed loading at half-cock. Nice crisp 3.5 lb trigger pull. Not sure the shop realized these improvements had been made, but I ended up taking it home for $475. When I got home I found the chamber throats had not been reamed. A .450 pin gauge would slip through, but a .451 would not. So I reamed them out to .4525 and will test it out next week.

BH_Stainless.jpg

eveled

Hawkeye
Nice gun! Did you check out the other guns from the same collection. Were they modified too? Ed

mrbumps

Blackhawk
eveled said:
Nice gun! Did you check out the other guns from the same collection. Were they modified too? Ed

Thanks, that's the first thing I checked. I was hoping he had made improvements to some others, but none of the others had been modified. This one must have been his favorite!

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Nice gun and a lot of neat features.
Mine is a 1996 and I have to fight it every time I try to reinstall the cylinder. The only one that fights me like that.

Dana

sousana

Single-Sixer
Very nice score, I've been looking for ages for one and at my last gs vist they had an om vaquero 4 3/4" bbl in cch & blue. Used but id have to say no more than about 50rds.

I'm still hunting that elusive sts critter though.

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
It's a subtle Devil's plot to suck you into a dark world of sin and degradation! But out of Christian charity I will come and pick it up just to save your immortal soul from eternal damnation!

*shrug* It was worth a shot. Nice find, I hope it gives you good service and someday some kid will proudly tell his peers his great grandpa left it to him.

adam12

Single-Sixer
Once in awhile the winds of fate blow something great our way, the trick is to recognize it and act when you feel it.

You were in the right place at the right time and you did not falter. Now you've got a beautiful revolver that came to you out of the blue. NICE!!!!!

Really, really, really NICE! I was searching for a Blackhawk like that for months, and earlier this year I gave up and bought a new, plain, 4 5/8" blue Convertible 45 Colt/45ACP. If I had come across that revolver in my LGS, I'd have snatched it right up without even haggling.

You did very well in that deal - it should shoot great - I am anxious to hear a report.