Pin comes forward Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

biogenic

Bearcat
I shot some 357 magnums with my new model bh and the pin keeps coming loose. How can I remedy the problem ?
My base pin has a slight movement back and forth after is locked into place. Normal ?

Load 13.5 2400 with 158 swc... Thanks

427mach1

Blackhawk
This is a common occurrence with heavy loads in Blackhawks. I replaced the base pins in both of mine with Belt Mountain locking base pins. They have several different designs to choose from.

DPris

Buckeye
Best way is the Belt, alternative is a stronger coil spring in the latch.
Denis

Hondo44

Hawkeye
biogenic,

I hate to spend money for new parts rather than fix the problem. The problem is usually that the groove in the cyl pin is not properly fit to the push button catch. Make sure the two halves of the catch are screwed together tightly. Note the position of the catch with pin removed, now install pin and see if the catch has returned to the same position. If not the groove in the pin is not deep enough.

If you have a groove that has play as you described, the groove may be too deep. Ruger will send you a new pin for free if you call them and discuss the problem.

Hope that helps,

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have not had that problem as of yet but I replaced the Latch spring with a stronger one anyway. I did not want to have that problem. I actually like the stronger spring.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Hondo 44 has it spot on. I run large frame 44mag SBH's and Vaqueros, and in the past, I've reached up and touched as hot as they want to run. Basepins jump, that's what they do. Add a bit of witness fluid to the basepin latch groove, work the latch a few times, and see how much engagement you're getting. I'm vigilant to not work the back edge (nearest the cylinder, long side, not the tip side) such that the pin seats as deep as it should. If you work the back edge, it'll let the pin walk forward further than it should and might have reliability issues.

Belt mountain locking base pins or extra power latch springs can help, but a little time with a round file will work.

DPris

Buckeye
Belt Mountain Enterprises, look for them at Midway USA or Brownells or www.beltmountain.com .
Denis

Onty

Single-Sixer
biogenic said:
Is Belt on this forum ? Would like to send him a pm...

If you are buying a new pin, take a good look at so called #5. IMHO, way better than standard one

Bearcat1-800.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Interesting. I have a .41mag NMB, (bought it early 2000, so probably made '98 or '99 )and out of curiosity took a look at the base pin. Never had any problem with it, although it does have a tiny bit of fore and aft play. The thing I noticed is that the groove completely encircles the pin, rather than just partially as shown on the Base Mountain pins. Any reason why the .41 would be different than others?