Grips for Lipsey’s Ruger New Blackhawk in .45 LC/.45 ACP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

El Greco

Bearcat
Gentlemen,
I need you help to determine the size of grips for my Lipsey's Ruger New Blackhawk in .45 LC/.45 ACP. I would like to get a different set of grips because the simulated Ivory Grips of my gun are too "pretty" and I don't want to scratch them. I would like to order a set from Altamont or Hogue. Today a gentleman at the range took off the rubber grips from his regular Ruger New Blackhawk and they DO NOT fit mine.
The Lipsey's specifications state XR3 gripframe. So, what set of grips can I order that will fit my Lipsey's Ruger New Blackhawk?
Thank you
http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruger-Blackhawk-Flattop-Stainless-45-Colt-45-ACP-Convertible.aspx

k22fan

Blackhawk
From the early 1960s until the introduction of the Hunter models all Black Hawks except .44 magnum Super Black Hawks used XR3Red (redesigned) gripfames and grips. I'm guessing your friend's "regular" Black Hawk has the very common XR3Red gripfame. The XR3Red appeared approx. 1961 when Ruger lengthened their original XR3 gripfame's tripper reach and flared its bottom. Not everyone loved the redesign so Ruger approximated the original XR3 gripframe for their reintroduction of Flat Tops. The Lipsey page you linked pictures a modern Flat Top with an XR3 gripframe.

caryc

Hawkeye
The reason the gentleman's black grip didn't fit your Blackhawk is because his gun is a regular Blackhawk and yours is a flattop Blackhawk. His has the XR3-RED profile grip frame on it and yours has the new steel XR3 grip frame on it.

As Hondo said you need grips for the new XR3 grip frame or anything advertised to fit the "New Vaquero".

Muddy Creek

Bearcat
Your Lipsey flattop has the same grip frame as the 50th anniversary flattop blackhawks. Same frame as mentioned before as the New Vaquero. I think the Altamonte slim profile might be close to the Ivory grips on your flattop if they are the slim Eagle gunfighter Ivory grips. But that is just a guess. I've been pondering the grips question myself for a Davidson New Vaquero 45 Conversion that came with the plain black ruger grips. Thinking of Altamont's slim profile or go for the pricey Eagle gunfighter ones.