.454 Alaskan

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dump1567

Single-Sixer
I picked this up recently. Mostly to shoot .45 Colt, but I like the option. I really have no use for it, other than just wanting one.

Dump1567

Single-Sixer
.45 Colt, no problem. I'm still getting use to the trigger. A little different than the S&W's I'm use to. Haven't tried any hot loads yet.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I have the full size .454 SRH with 7-1/2" barrel and it's a handful with a full house load. I don't even want to know what those loads would be like through that barrel length.

But on the other hand if I were camping in tooth and claw territory I'd feel completely confident knowing I had a portable hand howitzer on my hip if things turned for the worst.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Flatbush said:
What is it like to shoot? I have some Cowboy loads that would be fun to try I bet.
Flatbush

Full charge (not factory) SAAMI loads in the 454C are like getting whacked in the web of your thumb and forefinger with a piece of rebar. Muzzle jump really isn't that bad, it just pounds into the top of your hand.

45colt loads are a pleasure in the rather hefty Alaskan frames.

Then again, the Hogue monogrips are a little more forgiving than the Lett style grips that I prefer.

E1129E82-A3B3-45B5-9802-55ACD7D121BF_zpsijwcok51.jpg

I have a pair of 454C Alaskans + one in 480R (looking for a 44mag Alaskan soon), a pair of 7.5" SRH's in 454C and 44mag, and two 5.5" Toklat 454C SRH's. Love these mean revolvers. I can't justify the size of an X-frame S&W, so these are about as powerful of revolvers that make sense.

dougader

Hunter
I thought my 7.5" 454 SRH was worse to shoot than my Alaskan 454. The Hogue monogrip makes a big difference IMO. I'd prefer a 4.5 - 5" barrel, though, kind of like the Toklat pictured above, but with a rounded barrel instead of the slab sided barrel Ruger used.

Tommy F

Single-Sixer
I agree the Alaskan should be fun with various 45 colts loads, and you can load them up to many levels. looking for one for sale or trade.

41manor44

Single-Sixer
Congrats on the 454 Alaskan. I picked one up a while back as you did "just because I wanted one". I shoot it as often as I can. Bullets are expensive and hard to come by. I am a reloader and shoot mine often. It never ceases to put a smile on my face. I didn't like the all rubber Hogues so mine wear the Lett with the wood inserts. It is a jolt when touched off but not that hard to handle.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Varminterror said:
Flatbush said:
What is it like to shoot? I have some Cowboy loads that would be fun to try I bet.
Flatbush

Full charge (not factory) SAAMI loads in the 454C are like getting whacked in the web of your thumb and forefinger with a piece of rebar. Muzzle jump really isn't that bad, it just pounds into the top of your hand.

45colt loads are a pleasure in the rather hefty Alaskan frames.

Then again, the Hogue monogrips are a little more forgiving than the Lett style grips that I prefer.

E1129E82-A3B3-45B5-9802-55ACD7D121BF_zpsijwcok51.jpg

I have a pair of 454C Alaskans + one in 480R (looking for a 44mag Alaskan soon), a pair of 7.5" SRH's in 454C and 44mag, and two 5.5" Toklat 454C SRH's. Love these mean revolvers. I can't justify the size of an X-frame S&W, so these are about as powerful of revolvers that make sense.

I too have the Toklat, bought it to not shoot but to resell, but shooting it is getting tempting. One thing stopping me is that I can't find any .454 ammo anywhere at the local places that typically have it. Mine has the all rubber grips.

This is the ammo I use in my 454. I have confidence it will handle anything I will run across.

Heavy 45 Colt +P Pistol and Handgun Ammo
Heavy 45 Colt +P Ammo - 325 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N. (1,325 fps/M.E. 1,267 ft. lbs.) 20 Round Box