BH/SBH Grip Panels: Black, Red, Silver : What's What??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLUndertaker

Bearcat
I have searched "grips" and couldnt find what I was looking for so I will ask the question:

I know there are several different types grip FRAMES but what about the wooden grips themselves? I see black eagles, red eagles and chrome eagles. Can someone give me a rundown on what is original to what guns. My interests lie in BH and SBH, both OM and NM, if that narrows the discussion. It appears to me that most older guns I see described as "original" have the chrome medallion with the black eagle, but I dont know up thru what time frame this is correct. I have a first year (1974) NM BH in .30 carbine that has black medallions with a chrome eagle. I dont believe these to be correct but I cant be sure.

Can someone please school me on these.

Thanks

FLU

street

Hunter
Your gun should have the flat chrome plated, highly polished silver eagle. It's what we collector call the "Squashed Chicken" Medallion. I don't have a picture of one, but maybe another member will display one.

FLUndertaker

Bearcat
street said:
Your gun should have the flat chrome plated, highly polished silver eagle. It's what we collector call the "Squashed Chicken" Medallion. I don't have a picture of one, but maybe another member will display one.

This is what I have, I realize now that its contrary to what I originally posted. So these are correct?

XLoHhfU.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, a basic run down of the progression of grip medallions.
The first medallions had a recessed eagle, and it was red. Only on the early 22 semi-autos. In 1951, Alex Sturm passed away & Bill had the color changed to black. The red ones, recessed eagles stopped in early 1952. The recessed black eagles were standard up until the early 1970's. Then they changed to a raised eagle, that was silver, with a black background. There is a version during that time that the eagle wasn't as "sharp" as before & we commonly call these "squashed chickens" in reference to how the eagle looks fat & squashed. Next we have had silver eagles with a red background. & finally, in many of the later models, we see a return of the recessed eagle where it's black & the surrounding raised area is silver. Without delving into the books, I can't give you an exact timeline on each change,,, but as street has pointed out,, your gun looks correct.