Buying a new GP100 at LGS - what is a fair price?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jd-tree

Bearcat
Howdy!

Thanks to all the feedback to my GP100 Std vs Match Champion post. As someone reentering the world of shooting sports, I am grateful for your feedback as it has helped me make my decision to go with the 4" GP100 Standard. I'm am excited to visit my LGS to make my purchase.

I've been to several shops in my area, and I have picked a small shop that specializes mostly in tactical firearms. These guys took the most time to talk with me about home protection, concealed carry, safety, and other gun-related topics. They don't stock many revolvers, but because they were the most helpful, I don't mind waiting for them to order my new Ruger.

The main salesperson I spoke with said they would be able to make deal with me on whatever I decide to go with, but I'm not really sure how the economics work in the firearm industry.

My questions to Ruger Forum are:
1. What is the current availability of the GP100?
2. What is a fair price?
3. Also, are there typically any other side offerings to expect / plan for (e.g. accessory / ammo discounts, gunsmithing or cleaning services, etc.)?

I don't want to be a pain to these guys - they are a locally-owned small business, which I want to support - I just want to understand how things work nowadays...

Not sure if this makes a difference, but my wife and I each plan to take at least one of their $75 classes.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jason

Alpo

Bearcat
A. Good choice.
B. That model seems to be pretty scarce at the moment.
C. If you find one, the price should be around $550-$600 before taxes/fees.

wolfee

Blackhawk
You're smart not trying to beat up your dealer over the last $. If the gun arrives at less than 600, before you add taxes and fees, you are being treated fairly. Gun dealer margins on guns are razor thin. They make their living selling you high margin stuff like cleaning patches, ammo, holsters, snap caps, etc etc etc. I buy most of my Rugers from Gungenie online, and always have them delivered thru the same local dealer--whether or not he is the low ball quote. Sooner or later you will be in a situation where you need a favor from the LGS and being a regular customer, who doesn't quibble about prices, makes it more likely you will get it.

jd-tree

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies... I forgot to specify that I'm looking at the stainless KGP-141 model 1705 (sorry - long day and a late night!). She is listed on Ruger's site for $760.

roylt

Hunter
I quick look at gunbroker says $620 in hand is good. (600 for purchase plus shipping and then I added 20 bucks because that is what I would pay local to transfer.) I found 5 easy looking for kgp141.

Jason,
The price on the Ruger site is the MSRP, you'll always be able to get it for far less. If the gun store comes in at $575-$625 before taxes that would be about average (due to the popularity of the GP100). Less than that is even a better deal. You might also see what they would do price wise if you tell them you will be buying ammo, cleaning supplies, holster, etc. at the same time. Gun stores tend to take care of customers that they see doing or will do repeat business, I know I do.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I usually price new guns using Davidson's. They will give you the discounted price of several gun sellers in your area. They usually can't sell the cheapest but they do provide good service and an unconditional guarantee. Check them out. Stock is rather limited now, except for the 38 special guns, but the price for any regular new GP should be aroung $620.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx

planetcat

Single-Sixer
RoninPA said:
Jason,
The price on the Ruger site is the MSRP, you'll always be able to get it for far less. If the gun store comes in at $575-$625 before taxes that would be about average (due to the popularity of the GP100). Less than that is even a better deal. You might also see what they would do price wise if you tell them you will be buying ammo, cleaning supplies, holster, etc. at the same time. Gun stores tend to take care of customers that they see doing or will do repeat business, I know I do.
Unless you are at my LGS, in which case the price will be msrp plus another $25 or so. :?

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I agree anything under $600 is a good buy. My local FFL buddy said he'd do a 4" stainless for $550.00 shipped to your FFL.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
diyj98 said:
I agree anything under $600 is a good buy. My local FFL buddy said he'd do a 4" stainless for $550.00 shipped to your FFL.
The stainless 6" GP-100 I purchased about 6 months ago was priced at $599 + tax and transfer at my LGS which is known for fair but not rock bottom prices. They also had a stainless 4" in the display case at the same price.

wwb

Hunter
Bud's Gun Shop.... ships free to your local FFL. $568 plus transfer fee, background check fee, etc. (payable to your local FFL)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_1814/products_id/70258/Ruger+1705+GP-100+KGP-141+6RD+357MAG38SP+%2BP+4%22

jd-tree

Bearcat
All,

Thank you for all the great advice! My wife and I had been planning to take their CCW class, and since I went ahead and paid for the classes as well as the gun, they made a deal for me at $599.

I'm looking forward to to getting my revolver!

Jason

41manor44

Single-Sixer
Right now my LGS has a blue 6" for $565 and a SS 4" for $615. The blue one has been around for about a month longer than the SS.