Bisley Grip on mid-size frame 44 special flatt- tell me more

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chiliarches

Bearcat
Howdy forum members. I have a question on the Bisley 44 special flattop.

So, my understanding of the Bisley-style gripframe is that its main benefit is REDUCING FELT RECOIL. This is why so many custom gunmakers - such as Linebaugh - use it for ultra-large-calibers. I assume (what does that make out of "u" and me...) this is why Elmer Keith also used it on his #5, for his ultra-powerful 44 special loads that eventually led to the 44 magnum.

What then, is the big draw in the 44 special flattop on the mid size frame? If the "barn burner" "Ruger only" loads can only be shot out of the large frame anyway...why would you want a Bisley grip when you have the option of the Colt-Style XR grip frame on the regular flattops that points so well and is fast on the draw?

Interested in your thoughts....

toroflow

Single-Sixer
Bisley grip frame just for the "cool" factor. They just look so great on that short barreled flattie!

dougader

Hunter
Uh, there are loads for the midframe guns that push a 250 grain Keith bullet to ~1200 fps. No slouch, there, and the Bisley grip comes in handy for loads in this range.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The original Bisley was intended for target shooting, and Ruger's modification of that grips maintains that same profile, more or less, as a target grade gun.

I tried the Bisley grip with heavy loads years ago and found it not too pleasant and preferred the Super Blackhawk grip frame myself.

A .45 Colt Blackhawk, converted to Bisley configuration:

And back to Blackhawk:

And an ex-Bisley, converted to Super Blackhawk:

Bob Wright

toroflow

Single-Sixer
I thought this interesting, comparing the "old" Bisley (original) grip frame compared to the "new" Bisley (Ruger's):
bisley1.jpg

Chiliarches

Bearcat
dougader said:
Uh, there are loads for the midframe guns that push a 250 grain Keith bullet to ~1200 fps. No slouch, there, and the Bisley grip comes in handy for loads in this range.

So you're saying that the appeal is a smaller gun overall...that is still more comfortable for powerful loads when you feel the rare need to use them?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Simple answer, No one grip style will fit everyone. By making different grip profiles, a manufacturer is able to make more people happy. And they make more money.
Yes, for some the Bisley grip will help reduce felt recoil. But felt recoil is subjective to each person.
And then there are the folks that prefer the "looks" of one type over the other.

Rclark

Hunter
Simple answer, No one grip style will fit everyone.
+1. I have both and shoot both and don't mind both.... But personally I like the o' plow handle best. It's one of those things that 'you' have to try for yourself. If standard grip is beating you up. Try a Bisley or the Dragoon grip on the SBH. Some say the Bisley fits there hand better ... and visa - versa.

Boge

Single-Sixer
IMO the people who like the Bisley style grip usually have larger hands. I have shot both Colts & Rugers in that config. and for me they were worthless. I like the original SAA style grip far better. YMMV.

s4s4u

Hunter
I prefer the Bisley because it feels more natural to me, and I don't have large hands. I have always disliked the plowhandle handle. To each their own.

TexNekkid

Bearcat
If handling heavy recoil was all they were good for, Ruger wouldn't have put Bisley gripframes on some of its .22, .32, and .357 revolvers. It mainly depends on how they feel to individuals, which is pretty subjective.

dougader

Hunter
Chiliarches said:
dougader said:

So you're saying that the appeal is a smaller gun overall...that is still more comfortable for powerful loads when you feel the rare need to use them?

That's what I like about mine.

i-ftrC5Zz-L.jpg

Plumbous1

Bearcat
Well, it is all very subjective, however I find my 4 5/8" 44 spl. Bisley Flat Top to be the most comfortable and easiest to shoot handgun I have shot since I bought my first handgun in 1975. I mostly shoot one handed and love the curved trigger and low hammer. It will be one of the very last I would ever part with.

newrugersafan

Single-Sixer
I have one or more of all the Ruger single action grip frames and I actually like the Dragoon the best for heavy loads. The others all tend to bang up my middle finger.

This one works great for 44 special, I shoot the "Skeeter Load" in these guns and find the # 5 grip frame very comfortable to shoot. It may not be as much fun in a heavy recoiling round.

Mike

CraigC

Hawkeye
Like everybody else, you have to find what works for you. I find the Colt SAA/Navy/Ruger XR3 grip to be the best handling and most comfortable for loads up to 1200fps with standard weight bullets. It is also a configuration easier to run fast. I also find the Bisley with proper grips to be very comfortable and much better suited to heavy loads. They are less suitable to fast work and that is the trade-off.

What I don't have a use for is the Ruger XR3-RED and Super Blackhawk profiles.

That said, I didn't really have a particular reason why I bought the Bisley version. Perhaps because I came across it used for a good price. Perhaps because the all steel New Models are much heavier than a converted Old Model and I figured, what does it matter. Either way, I think it's a fine sixgun and I have been thinking about getting it fitted with a new front sight, Power Custom half cock kit, some tuning, engraving and refinishing. IMHO, there is no better sixgun extant more suitable to the 1200fps Keith load.

IMG_1976b.jpg

DPris

Buckeye
Since it deals directly with your questions, I'll mention it again. :)

If you're interested enough to blow $3, amazon.com, Kindle eBook, The Prisbrey Report, Volume 2014-2, Ruger, Lipsey's, And The .44 Special.

Covers both versions of the .44 Special Flattops.
Origin, performance, grips, heavy loads.
Denis

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
The standard grip is a natural pointer like a 1911 or Luger.
The Bisley is like a double action revolver.
Those who shoot DA revolvers tend to like the bisley.

DPris

Buckeye
I find the standard Flattop grip is a much better feel & a much better "pointer" in my hand than the Bisley grip.

Too many years of standard plowhandles for the Bisley to feel right. :)
Denis

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
DPris said:
I find the standard Flattop grip is a much better feel & a much better "pointer" in my hand than the Bisley grip.

Too many years of standard plowhandles for the Bisley to feel right. :)
Denis

And I go the exact opposite....too many years with the Bisley. I just picked up a Bisley Flattop 44spl. because, as hard I try, I just haven't been able to get comfortable with the plow handle grip shape. Find what you like and run with it.