Ruger 9mm NIB Cleaning

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eegore

Bearcat
I have a 1980's NIB 9mm Speed Six that I bought as a collector.
Figured I'd keep it as a investment.

Should I clean it from the factory firing if I eventually sell it or leave it as is?
Would cleaning the factory condition affect the NIB status?

Every time I fondle it, it goes back in the safe, something about the way it fits my hand. :D
Thx

contender

Ruger Guru
Generally, the factory puts on a fine coat of preservative on their guns before shipping. And they ship them in a bag that's supposed to help preserve them in storage. But you are taking this gun out & handling it,,, so you may be removing some of the protection. If you bought it as a collectable investment, then it should remain in as pristine condition as you can to get top dollar.

eegore

Bearcat
contender said:
Generally, the factory puts on a fine coat of preservative on their guns before shipping. And they ship them in a bag that's supposed to help preserve them in storage. But you are taking this gun out & handling it,,, so you may be removing some of the protection. If you bought it as a collectable investment, then it should remain in as pristine condition as you can to get top dollar.

Hey thanks!
Everything is just the way it left the factory, including the plastic bag.
By "pristine condition" do you mean leave it dirty, (barrel,cylinders) from the factory test firing?
I wipe it down on the outside with silicon cloth each time.
I don't cycle the action tho.

Just was wondering if I should clean the bore, etc.?

when we had any of our shops, we cleaned off EVERY gun that came in the door, HAD to for the most part, just cause you say its "factory", doesn't make it GOOD or RIGHT..................
I would not hesitate to keep it and maintain it properly. Same goes for ANY storage,short or long term.
I say this as most of the time, the 'stuff' put on by the factory is for SHIPPING , and the temporary 'storage" and handling that takes place between the factory , to the distributor, and then to the dealer (FFL) :wink:
The factory has NO control ,after its shipped as to hot trucks, cold storage, weather changes in temperature, as well as air conditioned warehouse or gun shop, all can affect condensation of the metals in the gun itself.........

eegore

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
when we had any of our shops, we cleaned off EVERY gun that came in the door, HAD to for the most part, just cause you say its "factory", doesn't make it GOOD or RIGHT..................
I would not hesitate to keep it and maintain it properly. Same goes for ANY storage,short or long term.
I say this as most of the time, the 'stuff' put on by the factory is for SHIPPING , and the temporary 'storage" and handling that takes place between the factory , to the distributor, and then to the dealer (FFL) :wink:
The factory has NO control ,after its shipped as to hot trucks, cold storage, weather changes in temperature, as well as air conditioned warehouse or gun shop, all can affect condensation of the metals in the gun itself.........

Thank you!
A good bore and cylinder cleaning will be done.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/hisfive/DSC04716_zps7653ff7c.jpg[/img]

Nice picture of a very nice gun, at least your "task" will be simple, quick and easy the gun being 'stainless steel.
We like to wipe ours all down with 'RIG" on a sheepskin pad.......(Rust Inhibiting Grease) good stuff, but any gun oil , a light coating will be good enough...........

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Use G96 spray or liquid, wipe with a clean acrylic felt cloth. Repeat (3-4 times for blued guns). We used the stuff for every time a gun got touched, from five-figure engraved guns as well as production guns, new or used. Same with high-dollar collection knives. The stuff laughed off humidity/temp changes. G96 is hard to find sometimes but worth stocking up.