Please Post your Blued WCs and blued GP-100s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clarkston_cz

Single-Sixer
I've still got the bug to pick up a blued Wiley Clapp GP-100
and hope it has the same wonderful action as my SS WC did,
but a bit a more durable finish?

Know that even a Speed Six is to heavy for me to carry for any period of
time, so the blued WC would be for home defense.

I know there is a new SP-101 WC version, but I'd really like it to be
a 3 incher, and blued or black.

Please post your Blued GPs.

Clarkston_cz said:
...hope it has the same wonderful action as my SS WC did,
but a bit a more durable finish?...

I can tell you that the blued/black finish on any gun is not as durable as a stainless steel gun. A blued or black finish is just a controlled rust, the color coming from the chemicals used. The blued or black finish will assist in rust resistance but not the same as stainless steel. Many people are under the false assumption that stainless steel will not corrode, again that is false, it will corrode if not properly maintained.

That said, if you don't abuse a blued gun and keep it cleaned and oiled (generic term nowadays as there are many different "oils" you can put on a gun to prevent corrosion) it will stay as good looking as the day you bought it, less the typical wear points. My dads 1948 Winchester Model 94 has all the bluing still on it other than the places that where his hands contacted/rubbed the metal over all those years and has absolutely no corrosion on it anywhere (he knows how to properly take care of a firearm).

To get a more durable finish on a gun you will have to go with a coating like Cerakote (a two part ceramic based coating). Good coatings like Cerakote will protect a firearm hundreds of times better than bluing, it just won't have that deep rich look that is absolutely a work of art if done correctly (think of the 60's-70's S&W's and the Colt Royal Blue on an older Python)

Other than that, a blued WC should have the same action feel as a SS, and you can always slick up the action even more if you want.

I'll have to take some pics of my blued GP's (blued 6" half lug and my newer 3" .38 spl) and post them.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
My local gun shop has 2 Blued Willy Clapps on the shelf.
My ICORE shooting buddys have I believe 7 Willy Clapp GP100's between them, mostly stainless. Two of them own 2 Willy Clapps, and another has a Match Champion as well as a Willy Clapp. I currently have an adjustable sight 3 Inch Stainless GP100, and a 3 Inch SP101.

For a house gun the Blued Willy Clapp should be a great choice.

I have a Blued Combat Masterpiece Snub "Barbecue Gun". I won't conceal carry it in hot weather due to sweat. Stainless needs some attention also, but not nearly as much as a Blued gun.

Bob R

mustang99

Single-Sixer
Actually the trigger pull and action in general usually is smoother on the blued version of the WC due to the processing differences. Because the frame assembly and such gets dipped in so many tanks for the blueing process, the "water" actually cleans out 99.9% of the possibly remaining glass media that might cause the action to feel rough. As compared to a quick single quick dip on the stainless models......

The blue itself is the same process and same chemicals as the regular blued GP-100. I see I'm really late to this party but maybe I helped..?

mustang99

Single-Sixer
For your inspection are my two WC's (link below); 1 SS and 1 Blued. I have also included my Royal Phoenix as it is my only other GP that I have that is blued, but it is admittedly not a very fair comparison to most any other blued GP. On yet another note, the Blued WC also has the brass bead front sight which I also like better than the Hi-Viz that comes on the SS version. Also, I believe that the Blued & Glass Bead finish holds up better than the plain SS Glass Bead finish does. Those are all the $0.02-tidbits I am going to throw into this conversation, especially since I am such a late arrival! Sorry if you already made your decision/purchase.

https://lgrcaq.bl3301.livefilestore...llbfJjXvZ78a8B36VY6x-wj6vHnfj4tE/IMG_0314.JPG

Latest posts