Ruger .480

Help Support Ruger Forum:

altajava

Bearcat
Hi all, I was just reading an article about the .480 Ruger SBH. It mentioned extraction problems on the early six shot ones. I have one such gun. I have shot the 325 and 400 grn Hornadys through it and I don't have extraction problems with it. Is there something I should keep an eye on?

MaxP

Buckeye
altajava said:
Hi all, I was just reading an article about the .480 Ruger SBH. It mentioned extraction problems on the early six shot ones. I have one such gun. I have shot the 325 and 400 grn Hornadys through it and I don't have extraction problems with it. Is there something I should keep an eye on?

Not all .480 SRHs were purportedly afflicted with this issue. My first one, circa 2001, had no such issues. However, the new SRHs in .480 have different chamber dimensions. I have had no issues with extraction with the new one, and it is one of the top three most accurate revolvers in my stable.

5of7

Hunter
Mine showed extraction problems when using Hornady ammo, but when I handload the same bullet with Alliant 2400 powder to the same velocity levels in Starline brass, all the extraction problems went away.

I think it was more a problem with the ammo than the gun. 8)

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have had 2 different ones so far. Never fired a factory round through either.
The older one, 7.5 Inch was 100 percent with my reloads.
The newer one 9.5 Inch that I still have, also runs 100 percent with my reloads.

I agree with the above posters, the issue was the Hornady ammo.
By the way I am running a combination of Hornady and Speer Brass. So far no Starline. I do not think the brass was the issue.

Bob R