454 SRH red dot mounting options

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trouble

Single-Sixer
Planning on getting my 454 SRH red dotted for hunting, been looking around for mounts etc. Planning a small Trijicon probably and looking for a rail. I've looked at the Weigands but do not want to remove the rear sight, I run heavy 45 colt level loads, very rarely do I run a full power 454. Any suggestions?

MaxP

Buckeye
trouble said:
Planning on getting my 454 SRH red dotted for hunting, been looking around for mounts etc. Planning a small Trijicon probably and looking for a rail. I've looked at the Weigands but do not want to remove the rear sight, I run heavy 45 colt level loads, very rarely do I run a full power 454. Any suggestions?

An Ultradot 30 will fit between the rings (you'll have to swap the factory 25mm units for their 30mm units). The Ultradot will take an unbelievable beating.

s4s4u

Hunter
I have an UltraDot 25 on one of my 45 Colts and don't mind the 1" tube at all, and appreciate the smaller package. If shooting with both eyes open the tube size is a bit moot.

MaxP

Buckeye
s4s4u said:
I have an UltraDot 25 on one of my 45 Colts and don't mind the 1" tube at all, and appreciate the smaller package. If shooting with both eyes open the tube size is a bit moot.

I shoot with both eyes open as well, just prefer the larger field of view.

s4s4u

Hunter
The larger FOV sure doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't look at it as a make or break issue as the smaller sights will get the job done, with the original issued rings as well.

Now I do know from experience that Ruger will swap rings for a different height or size if the originals are still in new condition so that should not be a deal breaker either.

UltraDot is a great product, regardless ;-)

MaxP

Buckeye
s4s4u said:
The larger FOV sure doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't look at it as a make or break issue as the smaller sights will get the job done, with the original issued rings as well.

Now I do know from experience that Ruger will swap rings for a different height or size if the originals are still in new condition so that should not be a deal breaker either.

UltraDot is a great product, regardless ;-)

I agree!

98Redline

Blackhawk
If you are hell bent on one of the reflex sights then Burris has a SRH mount for their Fast Fire sight

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-mount-fastfire.html
It mounts into the rear scope mount cutout and does not require removal of the rear sight.

EGW makes a mount that will work with a Leupold DeltaPoint but you have to remove the rear sight.

trouble

Single-Sixer
98Redline said:
If you are hell bent on one of the reflex sights then Burris has a SRH mount for their Fast Fire sight

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-mount-fastfire.html
It mounts into the rear scope mount cutout and does not require removal of the rear sight.

EGW makes a mount that will work with a Leupold DeltaPoint but you have to remove the rear sight.

Bingo! That's exactly what I had in mind, I'm wanting to keep size and weight down while retaining the rear sight, I'm all about redundancy.