Altamont grips for 3" GP-100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I don't like the current Hogue gummy bear grips on GPs. Understand why Ruger uses an off-the-shelf product and SOMEBODY must like them, but....

Have looked at the Altamont GP-100 grips online and they remind me of the original GP grips, which I MUCH prefer. I have a brand new 3" fixed sight GP now that Bud's has them back in stock and an considering getting the Altamont grip without insert and having a custom wood or elkhorn insert made, but have two questions:

Do the Altamont grips fit the 3" GP? (or put another way, are the 3" GP frames the same as other GPs?).

Do regular Ruger grip inserts fit the Altamont grips, or do they require a custom-made odd size of insert?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Mike Armstrong

Joe S.

Hunter
it looks like they are selling their grip inserts to fit their grips but say that they fit the factory grips... you might get lucky. but why not buy the grips and have them shipped to the maker of your choice, so you know it is a good fit?

schnoov

Bearcat
All of the GP100s use the same grip frame, so the Altamont grips will fit the 3" GP100. Be advised that the pair I ordered did not come with the grip panel locator pin ($3 at Midway, or apparently Ruger has been known to send you one for free if you call customer service).

The Altamont grips will fit panels from other makers fine - the ones I use were made by Chig's grips.

hittman

Staff member
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=208849

Here's a bunch more info on GP grips. Maybe something in this thread will help or inspire you.

Thanks, guys!

Hittman, help is great; inspiration is awesome!

Once I figure out what ammo shoots to POA in this shorty, I'll get the Altamont "blanks" and look for an elkhorn insert to fit. Noticed from posts here that elkhorn without too much "bark" looks the best with stainless, IMO. Ebony, and black palm like I have on my 1988 6" blue half-lug, are my favorite inserts on blue guns. Black micarta looks good, too.

Bobthegod

Bearcat
Get the Altamont grips they are awesome. Way better then the stock Ruger grips.
There are two types of grips they sell, just different checkering.

Like it was said above they do not come with panels, but if you to chigsgrips.com you will find some real nice ones at a great price. Chad also sells Altamont grips there too.
And, if don't see something you like wait a couple of days as his stock is always changing.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I like them as well. I would not rule out the Altamont inserts yet either.

16bnj89.jpg

My 3 Inch GP100 in a Rocky Hill Leather Pancake.
Altamont Fancy Rubber Letts style grips with Fish Scale Inserts

29fscxw.jpg

Marble Fiber Optic front sight, Comp III speed loader, and Big Creek speed loader carrier.

I do not have a good picture showing the back and front of the Altamont Letts style grips. They have a fancy pattern moulded in front and back similar to the grips on the Willy Clapp GP100.

Note: the Altamont Letts style grips are the Full Size GP100 version, so far Altamont is not offering the Compact old style 3" version that takes the SP101 Inserts.

Bob R

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Altamont produces some very nice grips at a reasonable price. Best fit of any 'factory' grips that I have purchased.

Chunky Monkey

Bearcat
Those are sharp looking!! How grippy are they? I have VZ grips on my 1911 and they are very aggressive and I luv em. Just trying to find something super grippy for my GP100.

Also, $44 is a bad price.