How does one identify the New Vaquero as opposed to the orig

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ScottMcM

Bearcat
I have been looking for a 45 colt that will handle the Buffalo Bore +p ammo (225 grain at 1500fps :shock: ). I called my local gun shop today and was told they had a Vaquero on sale for $499.00 (7 1/2 inch bbl). When I asked if it was the New Vaquero, the salesperson seemed to get a bit confused, and asked why it mattered. I told him that I had read that the New Vaquero would not stand up to the hot loads, and he responded that he had never seen a Ruger revolver that would not stand up to hot loads. I have no need for the weaker one since I already have an Old Army with the 45 colt conversion cylinder(that will not stand up to hot loads). I plan to ride down tomorrow and look at the gun, and try and determine if it is the old or new model. I'm thinking it is the new model, since he said it was brand new. How does one tell the difference? Is it written "New Vaquero" on the barrel? Is there one of those new key locks? Thank you guys in advance for your help.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Scott...The new models will say Ruger New Vaquero on the left side of the cylinder frame and will have a three digit prefix serial number on the right side xxx-xxxxx. The large frame models will have Ruger Vaquero and the left side of the frame and will have a two digit prefix serial on the right side xx-xxxxx.

ScottMcM

Bearcat
Simple enough...thanks. Am I correct in thinking the New Vaquero will not handle the hot loads? I hope to do a little wild hog hunting soon, and need the hotter loads.

Terry T

Buckeye
Ruger has discontinued the 7 1/2" barrel in the New Vaquero. I'd say it's a keeper either way.

Then there was that pesky special run of .44 Spl. "Sheriff" model "New" Vaqueros with the short 3 1/2" barrel that was marked "'Vaquero" instead of New Vaquero Just to throw everyone off. :shock:
They DO have the 3 digit ser. no. prefix, however. :D

Terry T

k22fan

Blackhawk
There is no SAMMI specification for +P .45 Colt. Absent one any manufacturer can go to whatever pressure ammo they think will sell for the highest price and label it +P. I'm confident Buffalo Bore couldn't drive a 225 grain 1,500 fps without exceeding SAMMI maximum average pressure. The reloading manuals I've read that have "for Ruger only" loads specify they are not for mid-frames. If you'd already bought a mid-frame .45 Colt I'd suggest calling Buffalo Bore but since you haven't, just pass on the mid-frame and buy a big BH with the strength traditionally associated with Ruger.

ScottMcM

Bearcat
Good advice. Thank you. I haven't bought the Vaquero and it doesn't look like I will. As I said earlier, I already have a Ruger Old Army, with the 45 colt conversion cylinder, so I don't need another that won't take the hot stuff. If I'm not mistaken, I can achieve more power in the ROA using 777 instead of smokeless powder, without the high pressure. Since I do a little reloading, I might just get a set of 45colt dies, and do a little experimenting....or I can just load the original cylinder with 777 and top it off with a nice conical....problem is, I can't seem to find any 200+ grain conicals...only the 147 grain round ball :cry: One way or the other, I'm gonna get me a big ole hog...and maybe even a nice buck.(I can dream, can't I? :wink: )

ScottMcM

Bearcat
Terry T said:
Ruger has discontinued the 7 1/2" barrel in the New Vaquero. I'd say it's a keeper either way.

Then there was that pesky special run of .44 Spl. "Sheriff" model "New" Vaqueros with the short 3 1/2" barrel that was marked "'Vaquero" instead of New Vaquero Just to throw everyone off. :shock:
They DO have the 3 digit ser. no. prefix, however. :D

Terry T
The one that they have on sale has the 7 1/2 inch barrel. A good deal for $499?

Varminterror

Blackhawk
To be 100% clear:

The definitive way to determine whether a Ruger Vaquero/New Vaquero is the Large Frame Pre-2005 "original" Vaquero or a post 2005 mid-frame New Vaquero/Vaquero is in the serial number. Two-Digit Prefixes are the large frames, three-digit prefixes are the mid-frames.

There are several other unique characteristics, but many of these could be changed.

AND, not all post-2005 mid-frame Vaqueros are rollmarked (or rather laser engraved) as "New Vaqueros" on the cylinder frame. All post-2013 mid frame Vaqueros are labeled simply "Ruger Vaquero," NO LONGER LABELED THE "NEW VAQUERO."
So that's no longer a valid way to tell the difference, as a 2003 original large Vaquero and a 2013 mid-frame Vaquero will both be labeled as "Vaquero".

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
After you have handled a few of both ,old and new, you will be able to tell just by the feel. Eyes closed and in the dark, you can tell them apart. I shoot NV`s for CAS and prefer the feel.

RCP1936

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
After you have handled a few of both ,old and new, you will be able to tell just by the feel. Eyes closed and in the dark, you can tell them apart. I shoot NV`s for CAS and prefer the feel.
You can tell the New Vaquero 45 from the 357 both in 4 5/8 barrels just by holding them

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Hi,
Just look at the serial number; like the gentlemen above have said, two digit prefix is old model, 3 digit prefix is new. Old model vaqueros will handle "Ruger Only Loads". As for 7 1/2 inch barrels, they were the least made in old models. If it's in good shape; no action job or sights filed, no rust, clean, good lock up, $499 is a good price. SS a benefit for outdoor use (if blued, put a coat of hard wax on the blue). I actually prefer the 7 1/2 barrels; I'm the most accurate with them. What distance in hog hunting do you plan to shoot?

ScottMcM

Bearcat
I plan to keep my shots at 50 yards or less. I took an 8 point, 180 pound buck 15-20 years ago with a Super Redhawk 44mag, at about 30 yards. 240 grain hollow point went in one side and out the other, through both lungs. He ran nearly 100 yards before he piled up. I was really surprised how far he ran.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
This would solve your Old Army bullet problem:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/432413/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-456-220-1r-456-diameter-220-grain-1-ogive-radius-conical

ScottMcM

Bearcat
I had thought of "rolling my own" bullets, but I am totally unfamiliar with the process. What would be the minimum components/tools that I would need to get started?

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
A mold, some lead, a melting pot (could be an old cast iron pot), a heat source (anything from an electric melting pot to a campfire), a dipper/ladle to pour with, and some leather gloves and eye protection would be your minimum. Pretty cheap and easy to start. But when a guy decides it is fun, he can add a lot more tools, molds, and gadgets.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Ok, let's see if I can offer a bit of info.
A few folks above have answered the question of identifying a Vaquero & a New Vaquero. The serial number is the only true way.
But,,, in your OP, you wanted to shoot a specific ammo. You wanted a gun to handle that ammo. I say why not look for a Blackhawk. A simple, normal Blackhawk, not the Flattop mid-framed guns will do as you wish. Plus, since you plan on a "different" type of ammo than most 45's, the Blackhawk has adjustable sights. I would also suggest a stainless version. Why? Well, if you do not have enough adjustment in the elevation of the rear sight of the Blackhawk, it's a simple job of getting a different front sight insert for the stainless guns. The blued ones are different there. The blued front sight is a one piece sight, while the stainless ones have a replaceable front blade. And, quite often, when shooting heavier bullets, a taller front sight is needed.
Next, you mentioned "rolling your own" bullets. You were given info on how to actually cast your own slugs,,, but maybe your question was about getting into reloading. If so, go to the "reloading" section here & look at a few of the "sticky's" at the top of the page to get a lot of good info on how to start reloading.
I hope this helps a bit.

ScottMcM

Bearcat
I'd like to thank each of you that answered my questions. You were all straightforward, and to the point, and, best of all, you were patient and understanding with the "newbie". I really appreciate that. This looks like a place I could enjoy. I look forward to a long relationship with you guys. This is a forum that one could learn a great deal from :mrgreen: I think I may try casting my own bullets, and reloading the 45 colt to my needs. I'm beginning to think I may not need those "nuclear loads" after all, as long as I keep my shots within a certain distance, and taylor my loads accordingly. After all, my biggest deer was taken with a 44 mag....at 30 yards. I have no doubt that the deer would have been just as dead had I used the standard 45 colt loading at that distance, assuming I put the bullet in the right place. Thanks again, guys. You have been a great help.

contender

Ruger Guru
Once again, "Welcome!"
Yes, this place is truly good about answering honest, well thought out questions by folks who want honest answers & good info.
Yes, we have a few members who might get a little "snippy" when a post is a bit "unusual" & asked in a less than polite way.
But, overall, we do have a BUNCH of great folks here. Lots of good info & knowledge here.

A bit more "sage advice." In general, a good quality hard cast SWC designed bullet traveling 1100-1200 fps will stop most anything on the North American continent. Wrist breaking, fast traveling, thumper loads are not required if a person takes time to put the bullet where it needs to go. Plus,,, if you shoot the load I mentioned,, you'll find it more pleasant to shoot & will shoot more often. More shooting means more practice & a better shooter.