GP-100 found me again.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
You are not going to believe this, heck I still have a hard time believing it happened. Last week I went to a gun show looking for a project gun. I found an early yellow box GP-100 6-inch. The gun was almost new except for a couple of scratches on one side of the cylinder. My local dealer did the paperwork since I was not going to travel to Southern Illinois. I got the gun home and started to enter the serial number in my firearm log when I started to type the serial number Excel filled in the number. I was shocked and double-checked.

Turns out I had originally purchased the gun new in 1986 in Miami Florida and I traded the gun for a S&W in 1989. I checked the box and inside with all the paperwork was my original receipt. I call up the dealer to ask him how he got the gun. He told me that his son had purchased the gun back when he was at the University of Miami. It turns out the dealer had been in the Airforce station at Homestead AFB. Later when he retired he took over the family farm in Southern Illinois. To supplement income he became a dealer about 10 years ago and when I meet him he was selling the gun for his son.

I told the dealer the story and he was as surprised as I was that this gun would come home 25 years and 2,000 miles later. Now I have to look for another project gun, no way this one is getting chopped.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I sure hope a couple of my old ones are looking for me. You'll tell that story a lot, congrats.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Cool story and I wish I could come across some of the ones that I let get away. I have not sold a gun in more than 25yrs, but I sold a TON of them before I made the decision to keep them.

Tip

Single-Sixer
lfpiii,
That's a truly amazing story, statistically improbable in the extreme!
Congratulations! As someone already said, I would like to see one of my few sold guns come home -a 1967 (made in Japan, yes Japan) Browning, Model of 1892 lever action carbine in .44 magnum. It featured eye-popping deep bluing, a rich, gold plated trigger, (not thin gold electro-plate!) and American walnut stock. I have a nice Belgian HP, as a result of the trade but, I've seen a few of those (not many) in similar luster, since then. I have yet to come across another 1892 like my "old" beauty.

PS: I lived in S. Miami (Perrine) in the 1970s.

Firenailer

Bearcat
That's a great story!

I wish an old Stainless 44 Mag Super Blackhawk I was stupid enough to let get away when I was younger would find its way home!

contender

Ruger Guru
A great story.
I see a common thread here. Most of us, (myself included) have let a firearm move away to a new home & now wish it'd return.

eveled

Hawkeye
I only sold two guns in my life, one was a Glock. I hope I never see that gun again, a real turd IMHO. The other was an Enfield Jungle Carbine, my son's Godfather has that one. I'd like it back, but am glad he has it.
Ed

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Happened to me once with a Sig 228. Sold it off and about 8 years later, picked one up in a store. Lo and behold, it was the same one.

Have a bunch of others I wish would find their way back to me.

Joseywales

Bearcat
Wow. Lately, I think of some of the guns that I've sold over the years. It makes it very hard to sell any that I still have. I have a 1022 target I really have no need for, but am scared to sell it, thinking I might regret it. It's nothing special. I find that I'm very selective about what I'll buy, because I don't want to have to sell it, and don't want to store a gun I don't really need or want.